Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

HelP trimming goat feet

+2
BriarwoodPoultry
DCChick
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1HelP trimming goat feet Empty HelP trimming goat feet Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:10 am

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I just bought a goat - with out looking at her first. Silly of me, but I was having an impulsive moment Embarassed Anyhow, her feet are AWFUL and need a trim to the extent that I don't know I am capable of. I am wondering if anyone near me haens to be more exerienced with this and would like to make a few dollars helping me out?

2HelP trimming goat feet Empty Re: HelP trimming goat feet Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:38 am

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I would help but it's kind of a big trip!

If you can get someone to help you hold her, you can probably do it yourself. I think we actually used a new pair of the side cutting wire cutters for our goat hooves, they are easy to use and seemed to do the trick. If you trim away a little bit at a time every 2-3 weeks it might be a nice gradual adjustment for the girl.

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

3HelP trimming goat feet Empty Re: HelP trimming goat feet Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:49 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wish I was closer to help out. I used to trim our nannys feet with my horse hoof nippers. She had horribly long hooves when we bought her and they would grow super fast. I had to trim her feet pretty much monthly to keep them in good shape. Good luck and hope someone close can help you out!!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

4HelP trimming goat feet Empty Re: HelP trimming goat feet Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:25 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I learned to trim sheep feet from on line advice. Somewhere it suggested looking at a lamb's feet and trying to replicate that. The advice to do a bit at a time is good advice. Really almost any trim will be a help, then you will get braver as you go.

Good luck!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

5HelP trimming goat feet Empty Re: HelP trimming goat feet Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:19 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

6HelP trimming goat feet Empty Re: HelP trimming goat feet Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:36 am

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Wow, thanks for that great 'How-to'! And thanks to Heidi for being such a great model! New goats feet are MUCH worse than Heidies and yes, she is being dewormed today and vaccinations in the near future. poor girl. I hope I can give her a better home than she's had.

7HelP trimming goat feet Empty Re: HelP trimming goat feet Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:05 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I use straight edge pruning shears for doing my goats feet. Less expensive than the specialized hoof trimmers, they perform just as well.

They have quicks like other animals feet, so you have to ensure you don't cut too much at once.

Northwest Packgoat Association does sell goat trimmers if you feel the desire to buy special ones.

8HelP trimming goat feet Empty Re: HelP trimming goat feet Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:00 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We went and got some nice sharp new tin snips and had a go at her feet yesterday. It was a bit like cutting rock at some points, but we got them down a bit. I trimmed untill I could see pink welling up underneath, but they are still not near what they should be. Will this quick evenutally recede back to where it should be so I can trim off more?

9HelP trimming goat feet Empty Re: HelP trimming goat feet Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:42 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We fostered a goat with neglected hooves so bad the spca was concerned he might not recover. We had to take them down a bit at a time, and yes, over time they do recede, allowing you to slowly trim more length off.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum