Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

No eggs in over two weeks!

+3
coopslave
KathyS
DCChick
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1No eggs in over two weeks! Empty No eggs in over two weeks! Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:34 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have had a barnevelder hen in with my Ameracauna roo in hopes of creating an olive egger. She's been with him and three ameracauna hens for just over two weeks and I have gotten only one egg from her. Before that I had my other barnevelder hen in with him for just over a week and got no eggs from her. Are they really that poor of layer generally?

2No eggs in over two weeks! Empty Re: No eggs in over two weeks! Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:41 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Aw, that's disappointing.
I've never had any Barnevelders myself, but have heard others describe them as "Barren-velders" for their poor laying performance. Hope the laying picks up soon for you.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

3No eggs in over two weeks! Empty Re: No eggs in over two weeks! Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:56 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Often if you move hens into new pens or add new hens to a pen there can be a bit of a break in the laying. Can be up to a coupld of weeks for sure.

4No eggs in over two weeks! Empty Re: No eggs in over two weeks! Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:20 pm

It's been a month since I brought home my chickens, and of the (now) 11 hens, only 7 are laying. I've pinpointed to gives what eggs and who's not laying. I don't know why either...

5No eggs in over two weeks! Empty Re: No eggs in over two weeks! Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:28 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

How old is she DC?

6No eggs in over two weeks! Empty Re: No eggs in over two weeks! Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:01 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

They are from a hatch last spring. Maybe in May. . . So just a year or under. The hens in with them have been laying up a storm. It's a good thing for them they are pretty to look at I guess.

7No eggs in over two weeks! Empty Re: No eggs in over two weeks! Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:08 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

How disappointing. They don't appear to be very good layers from what I read and I wonder if, on top of that, she is from a strain where a decent laying rate was not the focus and what mattered most was a deep colour........just throwing that possibility out there.

8No eggs in over two weeks! Empty Re: No eggs in over two weeks! Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:08 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Lean an axe up against the pen and tell her if she doesn't get laying she know's what's coming...kidding Smile

I actually decided not to pursue barnevelders because the lines I had were horrible layers of beautiful light brown, xl eggs. The eggs themselves were not the issue, it was the frequency (or lack of) that wasn't possible for me to keep them. I have 2 hens that I kept back, they are in my laying flock and I'm pretty sure one of them has never laid anything. Free loader, but she's pretty so I let her stay Suspect

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

9No eggs in over two weeks! Empty Re: No eggs in over two weeks! Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:52 am

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Their eggs are darkish coloured. Darker that my oringtons, barred rocks or isa browns. Basically they are around because they are nice to look at. I am going to try treats as my next tactic.

10No eggs in over two weeks! Empty Re: No eggs in over two weeks! Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:21 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is a shame to heard. They are a nice breed and I am sorry to hear that the Barnevelders in Canada have lost what they should have.

In Australia mine were good layers of nice, dark eggs. Not overly large eggs, but they had this smooth, shiny, silky feel to them that was amazing. They grew to a nice carcass and were actually very good winter layers, which a lot of breeds were not down there.

11No eggs in over two weeks! Empty Re: No eggs in over two weeks! Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:07 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

CoopSlave, I sure wish you had been able to bring some of those barnies up here with you. Mine were never great layers, though their eggs were the same texture/finish as you describe. I still have two, they are too pretty to not have ANY of them Smile

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

12No eggs in over two weeks! Empty Re: No eggs in over two weeks! Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:18 pm

Anna

Anna

Same here. I have 5 Barnevelders 2010 hatch and 4 Barnevelders 2011. I'm happy if they give me 3 eggs a day. And that happens only about twice a week :)Most days only 1 or 2 eggs. But yea, they look so nice Laughing

13No eggs in over two weeks! Empty Re: No eggs in over two weeks! Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:41 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Old wife’s tale but my dear grandmother swore buy it, mix bacon fat with rolled oats feed for a couple days not too much and they will start laying, I have tried it many times with great results.

http://www.popscoops.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum