Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

how to weigh sheep

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1how to weigh sheep Empty how to weigh sheep Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:38 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am selling 3 ram lambs that are ready to butcher (9 months old) and I was wondering how do i estimate their weight, I have someone interested but they want to know their weight? Does anyone have any tricks? I do NOT have any form of a scale that will work.

Also I am asking $250 each or take all 3 for $600, I did this so that someone wouldn't buy 2 and then i would have one all by its self. They are raised organically, no vaccinations or dewormer, raised on hay/grass, is this a fair price?

Thanks for your input Very Happy

2how to weigh sheep Empty Re: how to weigh sheep Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:04 am

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

What kind of sheep are they?

As for weights, Usually 30% - 40% of the live weight is what you get for most animals once dressed.

3how to weigh sheep Empty Re: how to weigh sheep Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:27 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

The guy wants to know their live weight so i just want to estimate it.

They are a wool sheep Columbia X Hampshire

4how to weigh sheep Empty Re: how to weigh sheep Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:30 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

The only way I know of if you don't have a scale is lift what you can in a known weight, then go and see if they weigh close or if you can't lift them. That is what we did before we bought a scale, would just be an estimate but give them an idea. Wooly breeds can be deceiving to look at, bigger than they actually are, so hands on and lifting is the best.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

5how to weigh sheep Empty Re: how to weigh sheep Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:16 pm

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

If you have a bathroom scale, you can take it out side on a flat solid ground and weigh yourself. Then pick up the sheep and weigh yourself and the sheep together. Then, subtract your single weight from your combined weight and there you have it!
Other than this, I have no other ideas for you.
As far as if your price is good or not, It all depends on what the market is like in your area. There is usually prices for breeding stock and then there is meat prices. However, meat prices are based on the live weight and processed weight, which you need to know I'd say!

6how to weigh sheep Empty Re: how to weigh sheep Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:27 pm

shadowridge

New Here

Sask sheep board prices right now are 1.87 for 96-115 lb. and 2.10 for 81-95 lb. lambs. Yours likely will be over the 115 pound range as they are a two large breed cross; at that point over 115 pounds the buyers start dropping the price per pound, but I think your asking price is still fair, they would be only be getting more dressed meat off under year old lambs and it is organic.

http://shadowsridgefarm.weebly.com/

7how to weigh sheep Empty Re: how to weigh sheep Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:36 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good news, I don't have to worry about weight. All 3 are sold to an organic meat shop Very Happy
Although I am sad they are going, i will miss them.

8how to weigh sheep Empty Re: how to weigh sheep Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:22 pm

shadowridge

New Here

Sounds like you need to get yourself a couple ewes, lol.

http://shadowsridgefarm.weebly.com/

9how to weigh sheep Empty Re: how to weigh sheep Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:27 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

shadowridge wrote:Sounds like you need to get yourself a couple ewes, lol.
LOL Well i usually jump into the pile with both feet so this time i thought i would try bottle feeding a few to see how i liked them. I agree i need some ewes now Very Happy

10how to weigh sheep Empty Re: how to weigh sheep Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:58 am

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thats good you sold them! I hope you got what you wanted for them. Now it's time to start the cycle all over again! cheers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum