Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Further to the "killer" thread...nerve damaged or paralyzed duck

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Giddyup

Giddyup

Personally I would have euthanized both spotted ducks as I thought them too far gone, or very unlikely to recover. My neighbour, bless her heart, came over to see how to help and asked to take the duck as she seemed to be a fighter. Indeed, it appeared to be a broken neck or nerve damage as although she was shocky, she would not stand and would keel over to the left onto her back. So now the duck is seeming to get better but still cannot stand and keels over, it's been one week now. So she's eating and drinking and now quacking. I cannot take her back if she cannot stand. If she cannot stand or move to eat or drink on her own I do not feel there is a quality of life there. I'll have to go see her in the next day or so and talk about what to do. I said I would certainly try to re-home her (she can't keep her) but I sort of feel like, you took this on, follow it through. I can't imagine many people wanting to hand feed a duck, wash it etc the rest of it's life. I'll have to tell her what she doesn't want to hear but although she means well she doesn't take this stuff well.
aye karumba

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

In my circles this discussion comes up but it's often about horses.

Someone has a dear, wonderful old darling of a horse that is mostly good, but now and then has bouts of severe arthritis. If only old Nelly could go to a good home ( allowing us to avoid the whole issue of ending her life), some little kids could learn to ride on her ( or bounce around like crazed lunatics and yank on her face and kick her and NOT recognize when it's time to get off and give her some bute). Out of sight, out of mind. Our human nature is not anything to be proud of.

If this duck's quality of life is questionable and you have concerns then you are correct that having started it, see it thru. Your inner voice is speaking to you, even though its message is not a happy one. So many of us are happy to drop our problems in someone else's lap and dodge that hard decision ourselves. But it's dishonest.

Daughter dabbles in horse trading and we have arrived at a HARD rule. No horse that she takes on as a project will leave here if we know it to have a serious mental or physical issue. We will NOT be the people who perpetuate the bad name of horse traders. Bad horses, hopeless horses, leave here dead. And not to be too crass, but putting down a chicken pales in comparison to the task of putting down and disposing of a horse! That is a whole new level of horrible.

Re-home healthy, happy, whole birds. Do not inflict suffering on this bird by giving it to someone who may well tire of its needs and negelct it to death, or treat it resentfully. The bird does not deserve that. THese are TOUGH places to find yourself in, none of this makes anyone happy and I am sorry these decisions fall to you. Deep breath in and do what needs doing.

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

There comes a time, when you just have to realize, you care enough to end it for one of your pets, or livestock. It's one of the worst things to have to decide, but it has to be done. I have taken the liberty of putting an end to the suffering of many of my livestock, and pets. I think my first was my hamster when I was about 12. That paled in comparison to what was to come, but if you care enough, you know you are doing the right thing.

Animals are not capable of dealing with such things. In the wild, only the strong survive, and the rest usually meet a less humane demise. It is up to us, caretakers of these animals, to ensure they lead the best quality of life we can provide, or end it humanely, and as quickly as possible. Shed a tear, say a word or two, do what you must, but know in your head, you have done what is best.

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well said, Hillbilly.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree, well said Hillbilly.

Giddyup

Giddyup

I do agree and I do believe it's what has to be done.

However, my problem (or maybe not) is that my neighbour will not agree and it's going to become an issue. I guess I should just say that that is what's best for the animal, and if she's not willing, to walk away and let her continue.

Or, she may give her back for us to do. I doubt it.

So, I hate conflict and don't want to end up not speaking. It is difficult at times, she feeds all outdoor cats and is constantly at me about my outdoor guy who she lets in her house because we "leave him out in the cold".

Hard to explain the full picture in a posting. I guess I'm just venting.

Giddyup wrote:I do agree and I do believe it's what has to be done.

However, my problem (or maybe not) is that my neighbour will not agree and it's going to become an issue.

Why not make it a non-issue? Say you've found someone who can care for it long term. Take it, maybe keep it around a day or two, have a friend come and take it away. Bring it back in the shelter of darkness and do what YOU feel needs to be done and is right.

I understand it's a lie, but if there ever seemed an appropriate time to do so?

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

If the bird is yours, if you have retained ownership of it, if you did NOT say the words, "I give this duck to you as a token of our friendship", then the duck is YOURS and you owe not one word of explanation.

Of course this isn't how it's going to goface toface. She will be all worried, "I wonder what's going to become of this poor floppy bird?" Then you say something neutral like. "It's time he was back in his familiar environment."

That basically says nothing other than you've decided to take it home. If she presses, just say you want to see how he does in familiar surroundings. Keep repeating that no matter what she asks you. This is TOUGH to do! There are bleeding heart types out there who have deluded themselves into thinking that by prolonging the life of a suffering animal they are bestowing a precious gift on it. This is a HUGE dose of personal dishonesty, but many people suffer from it. An animal that suffers, suffers. PEriod. Hand feeding a damaged, flopping duck is NOT bringing it comfort. If it hasn't recovered a bit by now, it's not likely to.

I think it was good and fair of you to give the bird a chance to get better. I think all animals deserve that opportunity (unless obvioulsy, hopelessly damaged). But when it's time, it's time. Good luck with this!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum