Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Will my peafowl and turkeys be ok at -32

+2
DLC
Prairie Chick
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Will my peafowl and turkeys be ok at -32 Empty Will my peafowl and turkeys be ok at -32 Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:51 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

A question for the experienced peafowl keepers....

I have my Blue Palms and my peafowl in a cattle shelter which is lined with straw bales. There isn't any wind that gets in there unless they sit in front on the bales to get some sun and the wind is coming from the south, even then it is minimal. This week coming up is going to be a bruttle one with lows of -32 before the windchill [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. I am just wondering if my birds will be ok in the shelter during this cold snap or should i put a heat lamp in there. DH says there isn't any point of putting a heat lamp in there because it won't heat anything up.

Will they be ok or do you think they will need heat? I would hate for this to happen [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

DLC

I dont know about Peafowl but the Turkeys should be fine. According to my 1946 U of S Farm Guide. There was 925,000 Turkeys raised in Sk in 1946 which was 1/3 of all that was raised in the Dominion of Canada. They stated most were raised in flocks of 3-4 hens & 1 Tom and were raised in Straw covered buildings open to the South. Ive had turkeys roost in my trees at -35 with no ill effects. I worry more about varmints around here. DLC

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks DLC that makes me feel better Very Happy

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

The peafowl will be fine but I don't think Palm turkeys like it that cold I know mine don't do well in the freezing cold

http://www.popscoops.com

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

My turkeys are in a barn, it is large, unheated and has many holes in it, and they do well. The biggest thing is having something for them to roost on so they stay close together for warmth. Thawed room temperature water a couple times a day and some nice food in their crops will keep them warm. I never had much luck with Palm turkeys, they seemed a bit more fragile, and never had peafowl. But I am sure if they can huddle together they will be fine.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

loushrop

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Prairie Chick. My turkeys have an option of going inside with heat lamps. But prefer to sleep in the trees. When it was-40 I spent a couple of hours trying to put them inside. I soon realized I was the one who was going to freeze to death. I never lost a turkey, not even a toe. My peacocks are inside tho. Lou

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well this morning when i went into the shelter the peafowl and turkeys were literally shivering. I felt so bad for them i moved the Blue Palms in with the hens and the peafowl into a room in the barn. At least i will have peace of mind knowing they won't freeze to death. When it warms up i will put them back in their home as there is much more room for them.

barryk

Peafowl can handle the cold weather quite well, just to be sure to keep the wind from getting to them. Most of mine are out side right know but I have all their shelters with plastic around them to keep the wind out. Also if you have any perches out side take them down this will keep them on the perches inside.

http://www.abnorthexotics.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum