Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals

+3
k.r.l
poplar girl
liz
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Empty Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:46 am

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Judge Bart Pals is judging at the Red Deer CHB show Dec 9-11th weekend.I have previously met Bart at another show. I thought it would be nice for exhibitors that haven't met Bart to know a little bit about him. These questions were sent to Bart for answers.

1. How long have you been involved with poultry?
Since I was a kid in 4-H.

2. What is your preferred form of bribe?
Money under the left wing (don't fasten too tightly)

3. What is the best thing about judging?
Meeting the people, USUALLY.

4.What breeds would you like to see more of?
Just about all of them anymore.

5.What breed was your first?
Blue Andalusian.

6. What do you do for a living?
I am a coordinator for a weatherization program (we wx homes for the needy). I also own my own insulation company, we employ around 7 people.

7. Briefs,boxers,thong or commando ?
Briefs, usually.

8.Do you have any tips on conditioning/grooming the show bird?
At least do the basics-trim beak-toe nails-should be washed-no lice-no scaley leg-dress up the comb, face, etc.

9.What breed would you suggest for the newbie?
There is nothing prettier then a clean white bird (nothing uglier then a dirty one). That way there is not lacing-barring, special coloring to deal with.

10.Why is Alberta your favorite place to judge?
THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you can tell Bart has a great sense of humor and is easy to talk to. There will be plenty of time at the show to talk to Bart about your birds because of it being a 3 day show.

2Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Empty Re: Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:24 am

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Liz this is great.

It could be quite intimidating going to a show the first time or two but the things you and others have done to make it easy and fun are amazing. Not just one thing Lots of things: bathing seminars, bedazzled classes, well run sales, advertising with live chickens at the grocery store, Christmas decorations at the show...

I am 101% sure that you are promoting new interest in poultry and the knowledge of current owners.

Well done.

3Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Empty Re: Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:05 am

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thanks P.Girl. What people don't know is that I have 7 other people on the board that are doing most of the work and I like to take credit. I hope the newbies are going to feel comfortable at the show. I know when I started I was scared and had no one to talk to,that will not be the case with this show. I will especially be talking to people I haven't met yet and see if they have any questions they are afraid to ask. I can hardly wait cyclops

4Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Empty Re: Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:17 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

What a good post! Some of the questions were as interesting as the answers Shocked

5Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Empty Re: Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:38 pm

Sebas49

Sebas49

Great post. It is great for people to get an idea who the judge is and what makes him tick. I've known Bart and his family for many years. I've judged his shows, he's judges ours show, we've judged together and It's always a pleasure to work and be around this man. He is very easy to approach and will take time to explain his placing of the birds and give any suggestion how to improve your breeding. He also love to tell jokes.

When you see him ask him about his red cowboy boots he bought here in Alberta. The only thing that he doesn't like about Alberta is the Alberta Clippers we sent them in Iowa, which gives them bad weather. I always tell Bart we don't charge for them, they're free. Twisted Evil

http://www.c-rducks.com

6Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Empty Re: Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:21 am

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

great post! i enjoyed reading! can't wait till that week end Very Happy

7Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Empty Re: Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:58 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think we need a list of questions for Rico too!

8Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Empty Re: Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Sebas49

Sebas49

Yes,
first question, do you like Silkies? Answer, of course.

9Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Empty Re: Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:21 pm

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

2nd question

Is it hard being retired,walking to the mailbox and pick up your paycheck and watching soaps in between nap time?

10Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Empty Re: Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:31 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

3rd question: Have you tired yet of the constant love and adoration you receive as the all knowing god of chickens?

Sue

11Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Empty Re: Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:34 pm

Sebas49

Sebas49

Answer, not hard at all as long as you younger folks keep working so I can keep getting my pay cheque. It's a dirty job but someone needs to do it. bounce bounce

12Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Empty Re: Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:37 pm

Sebas49

Sebas49

3rd answer. Of course not. I'm Italian so the more love and adoration I get the better I feel. Keep it coming. Twisted Evil bounce

13Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Empty Re: Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

4th Question:

When judging do you also accept bribes? Do you, too, prefer them tucked loosely under the left wing?

Sue

14Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Empty Re: Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:01 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

5th question:

Barring disqualifications, would you rather see a bird being shown with beautiful shape, size and conformation, or do you prefer correct color, patterning, you know, the icing! Now, you can only choose one...

Sue

15Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Empty Re: Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:12 pm

Sebas49

Sebas49

Interesting about bribes. I like beer. Buy me a beer and you have a better chance. Tug the beer under the chickens wing. You can ask Bart, but someone actually did that to an older judge by putting a $20 bill under the chickens wing as a joke and the judge missed it.

The answer to the other part:I would rather see a bird being shown with beautiful shape, size and conformation. Type harder to get then color.

16Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Empty Re: Get to Know Your Judge Barton Pals Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:54 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hmmm, seems this thread has been hijacked. I will start a new one with questions for Rico.

Sue

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum