Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Finally some great news!

+8
uno
coopslave
Bowker Acres
HigginsRAT
loushrop
duanescows
CynthiaM
Hidden River
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Finally some great news! Empty Finally some great news! Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:20 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

After our disasterous summer with water issues and dead/blind cattle we have water again! We drilled 2 wells, one is a slow flow that we will gravity feed to a Thermosink waterer for the horses/cattle for winter. The second has been plumbed into our main water system for our house and corrals. My sweet husband also plumbed in a new hydrant for me down to my sheep pen, so no more lugging buckets of water to the sheep in winter. cheers
We will still need to treat the water for the house, higher in iron but much better in the other stuff. No nitrates in this water, acceptable levels of TDS, and no bacteria at all. We are so pleased. Of course we need to pay for this all now but we are just super excited to have good water!

Now just need to bring the cows home, sort and take the calves to auction. We presold a lot of the cows already not knowing if we would have water by winter, so it will be strange to have so few cattle to feed this winter. And now of course I am on the look out for a new Jersey Heifer since I sold 3 of my nurse cows...

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

2Finally some great news! Empty Re: Finally some great news! Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:28 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh Hidden, now isn't that just a nice thing to hear. Hard to imagine your excitement, but I think I can almost imagine it. I remember something about your post about the bad water at your place, sigh...such travesty for surely. Water. Something we just so take for granted. I used to have to haul water now and then, back in our old life. The hoses to the chicken barns would freeze up in January and I would haul water, those big 5 gallon buckets, probably weighed half as much as I did, smiling. A big job, I can't imagine hauling water for so many critters as you have. Good, I am very happy to hear this for you, long live the wonderful ways to easily get water!! Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

3Finally some great news! Empty Re: Finally some great news! Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:35 am

duanescows

Way to go Jayme. So glad for you and your family and your animals. Water is so very important and city people just don't understand what we go through.

4Finally some great news! Empty Re: Finally some great news! Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:51 am

loushrop

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yaaaay I am so happy for you Jayme.It's about time you had some good news. Very Happy Lou

5Finally some great news! Empty Re: Finally some great news! Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:00 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

6Finally some great news! Empty Re: Finally some great news! Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:11 am

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We have lots of friends in town who seem to think that our water is FREE! We always reply with "we would do anything to pay your $50/month and have town water". It is sure a good feeling knowing that all is now good...for a while!

7Finally some great news! Empty Re: Finally some great news! Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:13 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bowker Acres wrote:We have lots of friends in town who seem to think that our water is FREE! We always reply with "we would do anything to pay your $50/month and have town water". It is sure a good feeling knowing that all is now good...for a while!

HAHA Free, I would love them to come and pay for what it is costing me to have my "free" water. LOL

8Finally some great news! Empty Re: Finally some great news! Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:26 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yay Hidden! I thought I heard that heavy sigh of relief all the way over here. Very Happy
I bet you are not dreading winter as much as you were a couple of months ago.

9Finally some great news! Empty Re: Finally some great news! Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:14 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I always say the fastest way to get in touch with your inner religion is to drill a well at $25 a foot and you find yourself praying to someone, oh please, oh please let there be water!

I scoffed at people who grumble at a $500 hook up fee to city water and sewer. Wow. If you drill your own well and install your own septic, it can cost upwards of $30,000 to flush a toilet in this neck of the woods.

I'm glad you've got good water. Life without it is almost impossible!

10Finally some great news! Empty Re: Finally some great news! Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:14 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes you are right Uno, except our's was $45/foot. So lots of inner religion getting channeled there... Just glad we found our "hidden river" at 60 ft and not 300 ft.

11Finally some great news! Empty Re: Finally some great news! Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:24 pm

Everyone is much more eloquent than me, but I wanted to add my cheers yay and hurray. There's no stress greater than having bad, or inadequate/no water. I'm really happy for you Hidden!

12Finally some great news! Empty Re: Finally some great news! Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:45 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

cheers cheers cheers

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

13Finally some great news! Empty Re: Finally some great news! Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:45 pm

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

cheers That IS great news!! cheers

14Finally some great news! Empty Re: Finally some great news! Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:18 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Wonderful, a huge weight off your shoulders.

15Finally some great news! Empty Re: Finally some great news! Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:49 am

Carol D

Great news and such a relief for you! Very Happy I miss the water when the power is out and we can't use it. Crying or Very sad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum