Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Preparing for Winter

+11
Sultan
silkiebantam
CynthiaM
mirycreek
pops coops
DCChick
coopslave
fuzzylittlefriend
Hidden River
BriarwoodPoultry
loushrop
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Preparing for Winter - Page 2 Empty Winterizingf Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:22 am

fluffycreatures

New Here

This year I am laughing. Mb usually has a big storm the first week of Nov but it has been 10C here all week with sun shining and beautiful weather. But today I got out the heated pails and plugged in the girls' pail, and moved straw into the pens for the fiber animals. I had tucked in the bunnies and chickens on the weekend so they have been ready. This is the first time in ten years I haven't cleaned up the leaves. But I never got my mower out of repair and seemed not worth it this year just for leaves. What grass did grow the sheep ate. But the leaves are a mess. I usually pick them up so dogs don't track them in.

I use an oil filled electric
heater in the rabbitry. It
has been great. Keeps temps above freezing
to minus 25C so Rabbit water bottles don't freeze. After that the tips do so need to add something more Even just leaving the lights on makes a difference. But with the chickens in there this year looks like I need more air flow so need to keep the vent open more.

It will be my first wnter with the chickens.
I am not sure how it will go.
I have the water up off the floor so hope it doesn't freeze.

I bred all the goats for early kidding. First year I had to move them into my heated studio. Looks like I will be setting pens up in there again this January. So I still have that to set up. Tarps and rubber matt and moving in the panels.

I am pondering a new male alpaca. I wasn't going t get it till spring but looks
like it will be sooner. So also need to set up another pen.

There is still a ton of stuff that could get done but even if it snowed tomorrow I got the most serious stuff done. I am dreading winter coming on after the ton of snow we had last year. THis year I am hoping for a miracle - warm and not a lot of snow. Mb. Ha! What are the chances.

By the way not all sheep wool is scrathcy or itchy. Alpaca is only one of several kinds of natural fiber that has a fine micron count. Merino, polworth and several
other sheep breeds have wool
that is just as lovely as alpaca and often blended with it. My favorite is angora.
Anything with a micron count under 21 microns - the itch factor - can be worn next to the skin and won't be scratch or itchy.
Trouble is when wool has been processed commercially all the wool breeds often get dumped in together and most are meat
breeds and the wool is great
for carpets but not next to the skin. We now have a wonderful selection of spinner's flocks and lots to chose from locally even processed into yarns and products. So check out the variations. THere is more than alpaca that meets the fine fiber criteria.

27Preparing for Winter - Page 2 Empty Re: Prep for winter Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:31 am

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

AhHHH it's -15 outside here. Sad

28Preparing for Winter - Page 2 Empty Re: Preparing for Winter Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:58 am

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Getting ready for winter here on the east coast as well. We've had a couple days with snow in the air but nothing has stayed on the ground yet. I've been working toward winter prep for my poultry for the last little while. I have completely insulated my leghorn pten with rock wool and plywood. I can't afford to insulate them all with the "real stuff" so the other pens are getting plastic vapor barrier inside (which I've started working on today) and then I will nail blankets over the plastic to insulate the inside wall of the coop. This morning I moved the last of my pullets from the "out" pens into the one winter pen. I've put my Isa Browns in with my heritage breeds for the winter. So all my heritage roos got a few more hens today - they're excited.
I've picked up my outside water hoses and will be carrying buckets of water starting tomorrow. Oh the fun!!!!!! Not!!

So some of my gals are not that happy with me today but they'll settle in soon and be warmer for the winter.

AND .... I'm waiting for spring, too Very Happy

PS. Yes, silkiebantam I agree with the others about the blog Very Happy

29Preparing for Winter - Page 2 Empty Re: Preparing for Winter Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:34 pm

samwise

samwise

Fluffy, PM'd you about yarn.

30Preparing for Winter - Page 2 Empty Re: Preparing for Winter Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:42 pm

samwise

samwise

Happychicks here's the link to the 'blog' post

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

31Preparing for Winter - Page 2 Empty Re: Preparing for Winter Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:19 am

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

samwise wrote:Happychicks here's the link to the 'blog' post

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

thanks samwise! I clicked on the link this morning and got my morning blessing in the form of that gorgeous sunrise!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum