Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

my non laying ameracana

+5
cornel
Rosies
pops coops
Schipperkesue
motherhen
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1my non laying ameracana Empty my non laying ameracana Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:18 pm

motherhen

motherhen
New Here

Hello, I purchase an ameracana that was 15 months old and was told that she was laying an egg a day at the time i picked her up. But it's been over 3 weeks now and she's not laying. I was also told that she had molted earlier this year and molted then. The other hens I purchased at the same time delivered as I was promised but I'm confused about this one! Any suggestions on what might be wrong? This is my first time owning hens so this is all new to me! thanks!

2my non laying ameracana Empty Re: my non laying ameracana Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:41 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Check all your hidey holes. Ameraucana are notorious egg-concealers.

Sue

3my non laying ameracana Empty Re: my non laying ameracana Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:47 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

yes some of mine lay eggs everywere exept were they are supose to

http://www.popscoops.com

4my non laying ameracana Empty Re: my non laying ameracana Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:05 pm

motherhen

motherhen
New Here

thanks, but I've looked everywhere! And nothing! This so called blue egg she lays has yet to show up! lol!

5my non laying ameracana Empty Re: my non laying ameracana Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:06 pm

Rosies

All my birds free range so only half lay in the nest boxes. The other half make there own nests in the bush. I have found 2 nesting spots so far.

6my non laying ameracana Empty Re: my non laying ameracana Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:08 pm

cornel

cornel
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

it could be lack of light as they days are getting shorter, and she also could be unsettled after her move

Last edited by cornel on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

7my non laying ameracana Empty Re: my non laying ameracana Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:08 pm

gubi

Are you sure she lays a blue egg?

8my non laying ameracana Empty Re: my non laying ameracana Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:35 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I've found some varieties to be more finickey then others. I nearly ate all my barnevelders when I moved them into breeding pens and 3 weeks later still had yet to see an egg! It took them a good 4 + weeks to start laying again.

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

9my non laying ameracana Empty Re: my non laying ameracana Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:36 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

gubi wrote:Are you sure she lays a blue egg?

That is exactly what I was thinking.

10my non laying ameracana Empty Re: my non laying ameracana Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:42 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

cornel wrote:it could be lack of light as they days are getting shorter, and she also could be unsettled after her move

This is my thought. Moving coops can be very unsettling.

11my non laying ameracana Empty Re: my non laying ameracana Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:11 am

motherhen

motherhen
New Here

thank you so much everyone! I have a light in their coop that goes on at 4am every morning. Their run isn't huge as I only have 9 hens and it's pretty square. The woman I bought my hens from was very kind and I have no trust issues with her. She told me that this hen layed blue eggs up until the day I picked her up. I'll keep waiting and see what happens. Give her a little more time?....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum