Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Marvelous Mushrooms! ~Warning! Very Picture Heavy!~

+5
chickeesmom
rosewood
Arcticsun
Skeffling Lavender Farm
silkiebantam
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

One thing I like about this time of year is the many, many mushrooms that pop out. Today it wasn't raining, so I took a quick trip up the back road on the quad with the kids for a few minutes. I didn't go into the bush more then 15 ft off the road, because there are so many bears around and I had the kids with me and they don't have the patience to wait while I snoop around, but here's what I found.

I think mushrooms are really interesting to take pictures of. They're all so different! I think I could spend a lot of time doing it, if it were up to me. LOL

I don't know the names of most of them, but if you do, please share. I wouldn't mind knowing if they are poisonous nor not as well.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I thought this one was reeeeallly cool!

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Awesome pictures Silkie! Looks like a lot of different genera. Love the strawberry danish one! Bet it's the most poisonous of all! The red topped one could be an Amanita, very poisonous. The ones in England look just like that but have white dots on them too.

We are taking a mushroom ID course next Friday from the Guelph Aboretum! We have been meaning to do one of these for at leats 10 years, so finally got around to it! I may know some by them and can ID some for you, they said to bring a camera. My mushroom ID book is still packed.

http://www.easychickenry.com/articles-by-skeffling-lavender-farm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

oh wow wow wow...
They are AMAZING photos.....

I would love to know what the white one with the "blueberries and Jam" is!

Amazing, I am totally jealous!!!! You are very very talented with the camera!!!!

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Skeffling Lavender Farm wrote:Awesome pictures Silkie! Looks like a lot of different genera. Love the strawberry danish one! Bet it's the most poisonous of all! The red topped one could be an Amanita, very poisonous. The ones in England look just like that but have white dots on them too.

We are taking a mushroom ID course next Friday from the Guelph Aboretum! We have been meaning to do one of these for at leats 10 years, so finally got around to it! I may know some by them and can ID some for you, they said to bring a camera. My mushroom ID book is still packed.

Thanks, SLF! I was thinking the redish one was a type of Boletus. It looks a little more red in the picture. The bottom looked spongy. Most Boletus that I see have a more yellowy brown color to them. I've seen some Amanita's around here, but noticed that they have the white dots on them too. I haven't had a close look at the under side of the Amanita's, so don't know if they have gills or not. I didn't touch any of the mushrooms today.

I think it would be wonderful to take a course. My sister in law picks pine mushrooms, and knows a few types. I just want to take pictures... and perhaps learn a few things!

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Arcticsun wrote:oh wow wow wow...
They are AMAZING photos.....

I would love to know what the white one with the "blueberries and Jam" is!

Amazing, I am totally jealous!!!! You are very very talented with the camera!!!!

Thanks! I'm just lucky enough to have great subject matter, and a camera with a fair sized memory card. lol

I think the 5th picture from the bottom, might be coral mushrooms, and edible. I think I was told they were, at least... Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

BLEEDING TOOTH FUNGUS!!!

ewwwwwwwwww

I had to do a google on that mutant strawbery poptart one, it is The Bleeding Tooth fungus (Hydnellum pecki)

You can see it at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] it is fungus #2.

Uber cool!

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wonderful photos.

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Wonderful pictures, Brook is going to love this.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh Silkiebantam, as usual, with your pictures you take, simply marvelous!! You do really take nice pictures, so clear, so pretty. Mushrooms are amazing. I was going to take a course this month on mushroom identification, in class time and then two field trips, I just don't know if I can pull it together though. I sure would love to, as we have many mountains around here I could discover. Maybe still will, just need to get my act together and quit procrastinating. Thanks for taking the time to scoot around the bears to get some beautiful pictures for us to see, love muchrooms!!! Have a wonderful and beautiful day, CynthiaM.

We have had some rain the past couple of days, so I bet our mountains would be full of them now too!!!

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh, I reallllly hope Brook see's and comments on the post!

Cynthia, we've pretty much had nothing but rain all summer. Lots of different kinds of mushrooms out there. I love to walk on all that moss. It's so soft under your feet. The mushrooms look like gems sticking up out of it. You would be surprised at just how many you see when you stop and look around you. All the shapes, sizes, and colors... The forest is beautiful. I love it.

Hubby says the red one, is indeed a boletus, and I should have brought it home for him. I'm to go get it. LOL To bad it's raining today, I would love to sneak away with my camera and no kids....

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Why oh why aren't you publishing these pics somewhere? I'm looking at these pics and thinking they'd be gorgeous in one of those yearly diaries or a calender or something! YOu are SO talented....I am speechless. The shrooms are so cool but I have a soft spot for moss, it is wonderful stuff too! These pics are absolutely fabulous...I think you need to reach a wider audience!

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Uno is totally right! How about [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for posting calenders, nature images on mugs, posters, cards. You can choose how much commission you want to make. I just recently opened a store on there [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] selling gifts printed with images of my antique linens and laces I used to sell on ebay and lavender pictures I've taken here too.

Once you get set up you just get a commission (10% to 99%) it's up to you, they just print up your items on demand when someone buys them, the more you promote your store on facebook etc the better you do, apparently.....I haven't sold anything yet, just a thought. Doesn't cost a cent, just your time. Customers can further customise your designs if you let them or you can design them as cards with words as well, totally up to you! It's fun! I am going to set up a chicken store too when I get a minute.

Also what kind of camera do you have Silkie? Those images are so clear.

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks guys.

SLF, your stuff is pretty cool! I really like your travel mugs. I'm going to keep your suggestion in mind, for sure.

Once in a while I think about doing a calender or something like that for friends and family.

I guess I like to just post them to you guys, because you guys are my comfy zone. And I hope to show people something I find pretty or neat.

I have a Nikon Cool Pix P90, and I am still learning to use it after a couple years. Ha ha! I find I have lots of trouble with the focusing. Sometimes no mater what I try, it just wont focus. Like I say, I am thankful for the technology that allows us to delete bad photo's or take tons of photos on the same card. I can't imagine having the roll of film anymore where every push of the finger costs money. Then again, I suppose it would make us much more careful about the pictures we take.

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Those are both beautiful images and mushrooms, I love seeing your photos. I love when you share them (and recipes!!) Very Happy

Thanks for comment on the mugs. I think it is magic you can just upload a picture and put it on a mug or something that someone on the other side of the world can buy! I have been having fun on there! Just wish all my ebay pics had been higher resolution. I had some amazing linens back then.

My camera is driving me crazy and keeps focusing on the grass not the chickens! About 80 percent of my pics are not worth keeping, good thing we are not wasting film! I have been taking pics when we make wine, dry herbs or smoke peppers etc for my homesteading articles, so I can include them. I think you are doing just fine with your camera. Maybe you`ll get a few minutes to take some more pictures soon.

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

So, I've been back out. I just enjoy it so much. It's easy to lose track of time out there. Some mushrooms remind me of pretty flowers poking up from the forest floor.

This mushroom was really tiny. I love the little bug on it.

I think this is a Lobster Mushroom and edible. Or maybe they are Chanterelle.

I love the colors on this fungus.

Corals which are edible. Maybe the top one is a Cauliflower mushroom? hmmmm...

And a couple kinda yucky ones. lol

Last edited by silkiebantam on Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Just stunning, love love your pics.

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

So, we went for a little walk today, and of course, I drug along my camera. I was stepping over a log and I looked down, and there they were, in all their miniature magnificence, Birds Nests Fungi! Whenever I go out walking in the bush, I'm always wishing I could spot some of these tiny fungi! I think they are the cutest things. Of course it was pouring rain and hail today, so they were filled with water, and it was hard to focus, but here they are anyways. I was just so excited to find them. My husband wasn't all that impressed, so I didn't tarry to long over them, and may have to go back on a brighter day.

They were about the size of a pencil eraser, or so. I am just constantly amazed at how such tiny things can be so fascinating. When we rush through life in such a hurry, we miss out on so many wonderful things.

These were even tinier then the birds eye fungi.

These were only about an inch tall. Their brightness almost glowed amoungst the green of the moss.

I just thought it was neat to have 3 different types of mushrooms in a little group.

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

OK Seriously woman...YOU ARE TALENTED!!! You NEED to sell your work somehow. They are beautiful! I agree mushrooms are a fascinating and colorful subject to begin with but you bring life to the pictures. Im always in awe when I meet someone who can write, draw, photograph and do a multitude of other creative things including making awesome food! You are just spectacular Shocked

Jaclyn

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

You need to get yourself a book on mushrooms. I bought my stepfather one years ago. There are so many you have pictures of here that are edible.
A course is a good thing, but you also need a visual reference. There are many poisonous mushrooms that look so close to edible ones, that the untrained person can easily make a mistake.
I used to pick and sell, many years ago, and made quite a good wage at it. You'd be surprised at what some are worth.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh wow, again, you thrill us again with your pictures. Those little bird nest ones were cute, did you put something in them or was there already those little things. What are they in that cup anyways, any clue? Have a wonderful day CynthiaM.

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

CynthiaM wrote:Oh wow, again, you thrill us again with your pictures. Those little bird nest ones were cute, did you put something in them or was there already those little things. What are they in that cup anyways, any clue? Have a wonderful day CynthiaM.

Cynthia, Those little Birds nests fungi, are just amazing. The little 'eggs' that you see in there are the fungus's way of reproducing. When a rain drop of water drop off foliage falls and hits the 'nest' it propels the eggs out and they can go something like up to a meter away. You can see an 'egg' right above the cup stuck to the log.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum