Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

So who has waterfowl?

+7
Hidden River
Hackmatack Ridge Farm
pfarms
loushrop
Susan
triplejfarms
HiddenAcresBC
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1So who has waterfowl? Empty So who has waterfowl? Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:16 am

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

I have a 2 hybrid stars, 3 Khaki Cambells and 2 Pied Muscovies. I had 4 Muscovies until someone came and opened my greenhouse doors in the middle of the night and appears to have stolen them. Boo to thiefs!
I am hoping to have a whole bunch more ducks by the end of Spring! I traded a Buff Orp Rooster for a couple dozen Pekin eggs from a local lady, who also knows a lady with Rouens and Muscovies. Annnnndddddd...my husband is bringing me up some Cayuga and Buff eggs from PG!!! Oh the excitement. So that is what is going on in the land of duckies up here!

How about you?

2So who has waterfowl? Empty Re: So who has waterfowl? Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:30 am

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Iam getting blue swedish crested and non crested and also pekins...super excited to start this new. Venture!

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

3So who has waterfowl? Empty Re: So who has waterfowl? Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:40 am

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have Saxony ducks- I love them! I'm tempted to get a pair of Sebastapol Geese, but have never had geese, so I'm not sure if I should or not.

4So who has waterfowl? Empty Re: So who has waterfowl? Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:07 am

loushrop

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have a pair of mandarin ducks,some sebastapol,african and toulouse dewlap gesse and one embden. I also have some pencil necked, chocolate and blue and 1 crested runner ducks. I also have some beautiful muscovies from Hidden River. I love them all Very Happy Lou

5So who has waterfowl? Empty Re: So who has waterfowl? Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:25 am

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I dont have any yet, but trying to talk hubby into letting me get mandrin ducks or wood ducks. Not sure how wood ducks handle it up here though. I miss seeing those flashy little guys all the time. Do muscovies fly?

http://dtfarm.webs.com/

6So who has waterfowl? Empty Re: So who has waterfowl? Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:28 am

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

pfarms wrote:I dont have any yet, but trying to talk hubby into letting me get mandrin ducks or wood ducks. Not sure how wood ducks handle it up here though. I miss seeing those flashy little guys all the time. Do muscovies fly?

Muscovy hens fly very well. They prefer perching as high as they can, say on a shed roof or in a tree haha. But the males apparently are too heavy to fly as well as the hens. I have only had my 2 Muscovies for a couple weeks but I love them. My Khakis are so flighty but these guys are beautiful and calm and so nice to the other birds. I cant wait to get many, many more!

7So who has waterfowl? Empty Re: So who has waterfowl? Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:41 am

Hackmatack Ridge Farm

Hackmatack Ridge Farm

I have show quality white and grey call ducks and also Pilgrim geese which I will be selling soon.

http://hackmatackridgefarm.webs.com/

8So who has waterfowl? Empty Re: So who has waterfowl? Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:44 am

Hackmatack Ridge Farm

Hackmatack Ridge Farm

I dont have any yet, but trying to talk hubby into letting me get mandrin ducks or wood ducks. Not sure how wood ducks handle it up here though. I miss seeing those flashy little guys all the time. Do muscovies fly?

You dont need a permit for Mandarins but you do for wood ducks.

I forgot to say I am also getting 5 Mandarin ducklings soon.

http://hackmatackridgefarm.webs.com/

9So who has waterfowl? Empty Re: So who has waterfowl? Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:53 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have quite a bit of waterfowl here. I believe I like them more than my chickens, Embarassed .
I have Muscovy Ducks (Chocolate, White and Blue), Saxony ducks, Welsh Harlequin Ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks and Rouen Ducks.
My oldest raises Buff Ducks. And my youngest raises Call ducks, and she just aquired a Crested Buff duckling in my last Ideal order as a suprise, she loves the "puffy head ducks", even named her Puffy.
I also raise Pilgrim Geese and Brown Chinese Geese.
They are loving this wet weather with all the puddles to play in.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

10So who has waterfowl? Empty Re: So who has waterfowl? Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:57 am

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

SO if I were going to add just 1 breed of geese to my farm, what is the NICEST least aggressive goose avaiable (that isnt a fortune to obtain). I am actually terrified of geese and have yet to meet one that doesnt want to chase me down and bite me haha. Suggestions?

Jaclyn

11So who has waterfowl? Empty Re: So who has waterfowl? Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:11 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I like the waterfowl more than the chickens too.

I have buff orpington ducks and runner ducks (black and blue).

I have Saxony ducks and brown Chinese geese.

Last edited by Cathyjk on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

12So who has waterfowl? Empty Re: So who has waterfowl? Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:50 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Jaclyn, I have talked to a local breeder with a number of waterfowl and he said the sebastapols are probably the friendliest. He was the one who helped me choose my Saxonies as my first ducks and I couldn't be happier!

13So who has waterfowl? Empty Re: So who has waterfowl? Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:24 pm

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have Muscovy, Welsh Harlequin and Magpie ducks, I love them all. I also have Emden geese and they are really loud and obnoxious Smile I ordered a lot of waterfowl from Performance this year so we will see how they turn out cheers

14So who has waterfowl? Empty Re: So who has waterfowl? Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:36 pm

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

Thanks Susan. Like I said Im terrified of geese so it may be next year before I ad some to my flock. I REALLY love the ducks though and Im leaning more towards more ducks and less chickens. They are just so much fun to watch its hard not to love them!

Jaclyn

15So who has waterfowl? Empty Re: So who has waterfowl? Tue May 31, 2011 9:37 pm

I'm curious if any of you hatched out Muscovies from shipped eggs? Hidden River? Do you have success with shipping hatching eggs? I have heard they're very hard to incubate after shipping, but only a couple of people's experiences.

I just have my two lone Muscovy ducks and no drake and they're sooooo lonely. They so want to make babies!! They're sitting on infertile eggs. Sad

16So who has waterfowl? Empty Re: So who has waterfowl? Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:28 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I too love my water fowl, although I have too many and 6 hens sitting on nests!

I have lots of Muscovies all colors, blue Swedish, Cayuga's,Rouens, Calls, Saxony, Buff crosses, Blue Americans, Sebastopols & Super Africans

Lou, you have dewlap Toulouse... We need to talk! Very Happy

17So who has waterfowl? Empty Re: So who has waterfowl? Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:11 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

farmchiq wrote:I'm curious if any of you hatched out Muscovies from shipped eggs? Hidden River? Do you have success with shipping hatching eggs? I have heard they're very hard to incubate after shipping, but only a couple of people's experiences.

I just have my two lone Muscovy ducks and no drake and they're sooooo lonely. They so want to make babies!! They're sitting on infertile eggs. Sad

Well I have never tried getting eggs shipped to me and hatching them. Mixed reviews on me shipping eggs to others for hatching.
I have never and dont think I will ever ship Muscovy eggs, i have a very hard time hatching them in the incubator when collected fresh and put in, so not sure how shipping them and then setting them would do? I just let mother nature do her thing here...That doesnt always work either. I have a muscovy right now setting on over 30 eggs plus however many goose eggs that silly Chinese goose keeps adding to her nest. I think it is a total mess now as she cannot keep them all under her warm. I need to go take some away I guess. I already tried moving her once, but she abandoned her nest after moving...Silly ducks.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

18So who has waterfowl? Empty Re: So who has waterfowl? Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:03 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

I do! I do!
We have australian spotted ducks and just love them. There are two saxony eggs in the 'bator with more spots from Hidden River so I'm really hoping they hatch. And I'm really hoping they're ducks so I can get a local drake for a nice trio. Well you can dream can't you?? These will be pets or breeding stock depending on how they turn out.
The spots are for fun and eggs and to promote the breed.
The saxony's we're not sure. Eggs yes as people always want duck eating eggs. We'll see about offspring for the meat department.
I'd love a guard goose but our neighbours already tolerate quite a bit.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum