Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanted Australorps

+5
rosewood
Giddyup
Fowler
turkeylurkey
wwpr
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Wanted Australorps  Empty Wanted Australorps Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:41 am

wwpr

New Here

looking for show quality Australorps. Quality is VERY important. I have been sold alot of birds represented as lorps that were crosses at best. Trying to replace exceptional stock that was stolen from our yard ...grrrr

2Wanted Australorps  Empty Re: Wanted Australorps Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:48 am

turkeylurkey

You should show your location in your profile. Western Canada covers a big area. I might have some leads for you if you are in the Vancouver Island region.

http://www.guppy.ca

3Wanted Australorps  Empty Re: Wanted Australorps Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:33 am

wwpr

New Here

Woops thought it was on there...sorry guys. I am located in Williams Lake. There are birds on the island but shipping logistics prohibits purchasing from there Sad the cost of the drive to the coast then the ferry cost..

4Wanted Australorps  Empty Re: Wanted Australorps Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:47 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ah the Australorp thieves.

I know a guy who used to have them. Came home one day and his two best hens and third best rooster were gone.

Not likely a fox.

5Wanted Australorps  Empty Re: Wanted Australorps Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:04 am

wwpr

New Here

It was Easter sunday soooo you know some asian family had a lovely lovely feast on my 100.00 rooster. Darcy was the best bird ever....Stunning We had a fenced area, the thieves were indeed human Sad

6Wanted Australorps  Empty Re: Wanted Australorps Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:34 am

Giddyup

Giddyup

Unreal. What about shipped eggs in the spring?

7Wanted Australorps  Empty Re: Wanted Australorps Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:08 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

There are some nice Australorps in the Okanagan according to the show results at IPE on Labour Day weekend.

8Wanted Australorps  Empty Re: Wanted Australorps Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:17 pm

wwpr

New Here

I am very poor at hatching eggs. I seem to do much better with actual birds Cool But if some one could ship chicks Canada Post that would work. I have always had good luck getting chicks through the mail. have a batch of fryers in my bathroom as we speak Smile ( if anyone was thinking my asian comment was racist it was not. It is a fact that black roosters are eaten on easter in many asian cultures)

9Wanted Australorps  Empty Re: Wanted Australorps Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:00 pm

turkeylurkey

Gotta watch that the birds are actually Australorps. Been some issues with show entries turning out to be Black Jersey Giants. Australorp cockerel standard is only 9 lbs. whereas Black Jersey Giant will be 14 lbs. Show judge at Courtenay Fair rejected most entries as being too big.

I researched shipping chicks by Canada Post but they'll only accept shipments from "approved hatcheries".

10Wanted Australorps  Empty Re: Wanted Australorps Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:11 pm

wwpr

New Here

Yup, my replacement trio has been eaten as they were not australorps. They were quite slight of build. Others have even had white feathers...ugg Anyhow I will keep looking until i find some nice birds, i know they are out there !

11Wanted Australorps  Empty Re: Wanted Australorps Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:29 pm

turkeylurkey

Cathy Weselake at Merville (near Courtenay) does have good Australorps, but there is the issue with getting them to you.

I think a white feather is not unusual in Australorps. I heard it dissapears as the bird ages.

I've got a couple Australorp hens I got from McMurray a few years ago. They are small - I guess they'd call them "production".

Ev Gilmar on Vancouver Island arranged a shipment of chicks from somebody north of Prince George. dogma@bcsupernet.com might get you some contact information. I took 25 of the chicks but sold them all "started".

12Wanted Australorps  Empty Re: Wanted Australorps Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:49 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I wonder if you went on the website of the Vernon Pigeon and Poultry Club you may find someone who breeds show quality australorpes. They are a very nice bird for sure, there must be breeders in the Okanagan somewhere. Good luck, sorry to hear you have been getting ripped off with birds in two ways -- theft and those that are not what you thought they were, that is a sad and nasty thing, hope you find what you are looking for. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

13Wanted Australorps  Empty Re: Wanted Australorps Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:18 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

turkeylurkey wrote:Gotta watch that the birds are actually Australorps. Been some issues with show entries turning out to be Black Jersey Giants. Australorp cockerel standard is only 9 lbs. whereas Black Jersey Giant will be 14 lbs. Show judge at Courtenay Fair rejected most entries as being too big.

I researched shipping chicks by Canada Post but they'll only accept shipments from "approved hatcheries".

I'm glad, they were getting too big and some folks are breeding Jersey Giant into them to get the size because the bigger ones were winning at over 10 lbs.

Sounds like some good contacts for you to check out, good luck! We've sure loved our little aussie flock.

14Wanted Australorps  Empty Re: Wanted Australorps Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:37 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

It is a shame they are putting giants in the lorps. They are very different shaped birds with different coloured legs. Giants have a slate leg with a yellow base, you can tell by the bottom of their foot, it will have a yellow cast, the lorp is white.
They really do have a different body shape as well. To bad really, it is a good way to ruin a couple of nice breeds.

15Wanted Australorps  Empty Re: Wanted Australorps Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:44 am

wwpr

New Here

thanks to everyone i will checkout the vernon site. i have an auntie in Grinrod who might be able to deliver them to me at Thanksgiving if there are any in the area.

16Wanted Australorps  Empty Re: Wanted Australorps Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:50 am

wwpr

New Here

Anyone know how to get ahold of Andrew Laird? would love to see if he has anything...

17Wanted Australorps  Empty Re: Wanted Australorps Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:32 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Contact me later. By phone if you like. I may be able to help you. I have brought in a nice line from B.C which originated from Washington but this year I brought I nice unrelated line in from Northern Alberta from the same breeder whose hen was entered in the Wetaskiwin show last year just for fun and it won it's breed and group and I believe one level higher. I was there and it was the nicest Australorp hen I have seen in over a decade. The person who entered it was taking care of it for a friend for the summer while the breeder owner went back East to visit family for a while and this baby sitter whose name I will not share without his permission, decided to enter this hen and when I saw how gorgeous it was I asked where it came from and so long story short....oh it's too late for that...I bought 25 Australorp chicks from this breeder who only has one breed of chicken and has about 80 of them if I remember correctly and has been working with them for about 20-25 years. I am exceptionally pleased with how these are turning out. They are very plump and almost all look like cookie cutter chicks. If you request it I will send you some pictures of them as they are developing. Dan Smith 403 240-2275 email wonderbar53@hotmail.com

18Wanted Australorps  Empty Re: Wanted Australorps Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:08 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

If you PM me I will tell you how to get hold of Andrew. He has very good Australorps, right up there with some of the best I have seen and I have seen a lot. His females are exceptional and I dropped by his place about a week ago and he has some good ones on the grow.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

19Wanted Australorps  Empty Re: Wanted Australorps Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:36 am

wwpr

New Here

dan i will call soon, and heather you have a pm Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum