Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

taping crooked toes

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1taping crooked toes Empty taping crooked toes Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:31 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Today's the day it seems where I have a number of questions and the time to ask.....

So I understand it's important to tape toes a.s.a.p. after chicks hatch. Could someone please guide me on how to do it and what to use? I know a couple of my chicks have crooked toes for sure but can walk somewhat. I'm observing them. I had humidity issues while incubating.

And when do you tape the whole foot vs. individual toes?

Thanks!

2taping crooked toes Empty Re: taping crooked toes Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:33 pm

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

All I do is cut a pennyish sized circle from the sticky part of a band-aid and place their little toes nice and straight, by the time it falls off they are good to go.

3taping crooked toes Empty Re: taping crooked toes Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:04 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks Amy. Will do!

4taping crooked toes Empty Re: taping crooked toes Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:21 pm

LynBar Ranch

LynBar Ranch

Yep, we did that and put a bit of the medical tape around to secure. We had PERFECT toes after, GOOD LUCK!!

http://LynBarRanch.com

5taping crooked toes Empty Re: taping crooked toes Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:27 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I taped two chicks' toes last night.....so cute. And I taped both feet of one chick whom I was going to cull and he can walk now. However, he's had a rough start and then we lost power in the middle of the night last night and I didn't know until it came on again and the poor little gaffer was alone, having isolated him for fear of him being crushed, and he survived but is worse. But my point is, he is walking and if not for the heat loss I think he would have been okay.

Anyways, thanks for the tips. The others are going to be fine. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum