Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

making salsa and freezing zucchini?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1making salsa and freezing zucchini? Empty making salsa and freezing zucchini? Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:13 pm

animals just for fun

animals just for fun

Hey ladies, I have a question, and my Mom wasn't sure. For the last few years I have made my own salsa and I have a great zucchini salsa recipe, this year my zucchini is ready but my tomatoes aren't.Anyone know if you can freeze cubed zucchini then bring it out and use it when the tomatoes are ready? Or would it be all watery and soggy? Would you blanch it? If anyone is interested I will post the recipe later. Wink

2making salsa and freezing zucchini? Empty Re: making salsa and freezing zucchini? Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:17 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Animals just for fun. Now I am in the same quandary as you. My zucchinis are more than ready, the tomatoes are yet a couple of weeks to come, maybe a little bit sooner.

Don't bother to freeze the zucchini. You are making a hardship on yourself. Zucchini and other summer squashes will keep a good couple of months at room temperature. Just put the zucchini, picked off course, into a cool spot, somewhere where they can keep air circulation below the belly of them. To freeze them, then to bring them out to process a short time later would be so unnecessary.

They don't even have to be stored in a cool spot, if you don't have one, just keep them out of the sunshine. Mine are living on my porch right now, on a rack in the shade. I feel confident that come time to process, they will still be good as new.

I would love to get your salsa recipe for zucchini. I never thought about making that type of salsa and there is so much zucchini, sigh, what can you do with it. But into salsa would be simply marvelous!!!

When you have a moment, please do post that recipe, I bet others are in the same boat, those zucchini just seem to love to grow big and lots, and before you turn around, there is another monster one too!! Hope this has helped, and have a most wonderful and great day, CynthiaM.

3making salsa and freezing zucchini? Empty Re: making salsa and freezing zucchini? Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:25 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I wish I could grow zucchini here. I love the stuff and cook with it all the time, much to may husbands dismay!
I grate it and put it in ground chicken and cook up the patties. Makes them really moist and you don`t even know you are eating veggies. I do the same with my hamburgers, just a sneak zuch attach in hubby then! Laughing They add nice moisture to things and take on the flavour of the stuff around them.
I also love to grate it up and put it in my tried and true risotto recipe, makes it really green and interesting looking.
You guys are so lucky to have lots of them, I have to buy mine. Rolling Eyes

I forgot to add that I would love the salsa recipe as well.

4making salsa and freezing zucchini? Empty Re: making salsa and freezing zucchini? Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:43 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wow, Coopslave, you must have a very short and cold growing season. I never realized that about where you live, sigh. Too bad, but still, get that zucchini, even if you have to buy it, it is worth its weight in gold. Wish I could throw far enough, I would chuck a few over your way, just can't quite get the umph Smile Have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

(do you ever get by this way? could give you a few as you drove by, smiling again).

5making salsa and freezing zucchini? Empty Re: making salsa and freezing zucchini? Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:03 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM wrote:
(do you ever get by this way? could give you a few as you drove by, smiling again).

I may take you up on that offer! I haven`t been getting out that way much lately. We are only about 45min from Kelowna so I am there everyweek, but I haven`t been straying much further than that cause the holidayers drive me MAD!

6making salsa and freezing zucchini? Empty Re: making salsa and freezing zucchini? Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:43 pm

animals just for fun

animals just for fun

Thanks so much Very Happy I had know idea that they would last that long. In that case I think I will put them in my basement and hope my tomatoes hurry it up. I also make chocolate cake with my zucchini, but you gave me some other great ideas.
I love you Zucchini Salsa I love you
10 cups finely chopped (cubed) zucchini
3 cups chopped onion
4 cups chopped green pepper
5 Tbsp. coarse salt
Mix the veggies and salt(can add celery if you wish)
SOAK OVERNIGHT
Drain and rinse well in the morning.
1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1 Tbsp. nutmeg
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 cup brown sugar
1- 14oz can tomato sauce
2 Tbsp. dry mustard
1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
5 cups tomatoes-blanched and chopped
Cook above for 10 minutes. Add the vegetable mixture and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Put into jars and process for 5 to 10 minutes. Yields 8 pints.
Now I don't fallow the recipe really close sometimes I add more veggies then asked for, and yet every time it turns out awesome.

-Some people and corn
- I use different colored peppers, it tastes good and looks pretty
- Taste well it is cooking I add more cayenne and nutmeg, whatever you desire.
Enjoy Exclamation Kristy

7making salsa and freezing zucchini? Empty Re: making salsa and freezing zucchini? Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:52 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have actually kept zucchini in my basement for over a month so don't fret about them. I do find that the longer you keep them they are a little dryer, but not alot. My neighbor got 6 from me the one year and she kept them in a cold room and was able to keep them for 3 months that way before she had used them all up.

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum