Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chicken nesting boxes wanted, Kamloops

+2
chickeesmom
Rosie C
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chicken nesting boxes wanted, Kamloops Empty Chicken nesting boxes wanted, Kamloops Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:59 pm

Rosie C

Am not a very handy person, but looking to upgrade to some nicer newer nesting boxes around Kamloops, please let me kow if you have extra,
thanks

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hey Rosie C, one of the chickens favourite nesting boxes in my barn is a large black planter that I bought a tree in. Cut half of the bottom out and screw it to the wall, the top is too the wall, so I used some of those round thing a migiggies to keep it on, fill with shavings or straw and you are good to go.
The thingamigiggie is the round flat thing, geeppers I can't think of the name right now.

Rosie C

Thanks Chickeesmom, I will try that, I have all sorts of stuff like that around, so shouldnt be to hard

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

chickeesmom wrote:Hey Rosie C, one of the chickens favourite nesting boxes in my barn is a large black planter that I bought a tree in. Cut half of the bottom out and screw it to the wall, the top is too the wall, so I used some of those round thing a migiggies to keep it on, fill with shavings or straw and you are good to go.
The thingamigiggie is the round flat thing, geeppers I can't think of the name right now.
plant saucers?

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

They are actually the buckets the tree's come in. I have used them here but I think mine were too small so the bigger ladies dont use them but a larger one would be perfect.
And I think what Chickee's mom was trying to think of was a "washer" so the screws do not pull through the plastic when mounted on the walls.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hi Rosie
It was nice to meet you today and I hope you enjoy your new chickens. You may find that the 2 hens lay in the next couple days and then may take some time out to adjust to their new home. I make my own nesting boxes our of recycled wood, but some people use rubbermaid roughnecks with a hole cut in the side. The roughneck should be a bit bigger than the dog kennel you had today with straw or shavings for litter.
Rosie has a Partridge Cochin from Tracy on Vancouver Island, a Light Brahma from our own breeding and a BLRW pullet from Heidi's stock.

7Chicken nesting boxes wanted, Kamloops Empty Re: Chicken nesting boxes wanted, Kamloops Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:00 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh thank you Hidden, a washer, honestly, couldn't think of that for the life of me, all four grandkids here and LK so was a bit busy.....
It is amazing what they will nest in, usually someplace kind of hidden, and for some reason they love that black pot.

8Chicken nesting boxes wanted, Kamloops Empty Re: Chicken nesting boxes wanted, Kamloops Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:38 am

Rosie C

Thanks Stan, was very nice meeting you, and Im sure I will be seeing you in future Very Happy
Thanks everyone for your help, I will be woking on it today

9Chicken nesting boxes wanted, Kamloops Empty chicken nest boxes Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:23 pm

clucky

New Here

Premier 1 Sheep Supplies in the U.S.A. is now selling poultry supplies. With the strong Canadian dollar, it might be worth a look.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum