Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How do I know when it's time

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How do I know when it's time  Empty How do I know when it's time Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

So this is my first time with letting the hens raise the chicks. But it just occurred to me I don't know when it's time to get mom out or will she decide that herself?
All my hens are banty cochin x's raising lrg x meat chicks with some layer replacements. I worry that I will overload them. I mean so far everyone is doing well but you get looking around and planning your next step. And pretty soon I've over thought it lol

2How do I know when it's time  Empty Re: How do I know when it's time Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:46 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

The hen will decide herself! She will get tired of the chicks and start ignoring them around 5 to 6 weeks old. She may even get annoyed and give them a peck or so if they bother her too much at that stage.

3How do I know when it's time  Empty Re: How do I know when it's time Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:32 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks bob. I kinda figured so but thought I better check with the pros

4How do I know when it's time  Empty Re: How do I know when it's time Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:39 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

I second that notion, Mamma hen will make the decision herself and will let her young know when it's time to fend for themselves. Like Farmer Bob mentioned, somewhere around 4-6 weeks she will begin to stop mothering them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum