Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

8 Week old Sussex with Major Leg Problem

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

18 Week old Sussex with Major Leg Problem Empty 8 Week old Sussex with Major Leg Problem Tue May 26, 2015 6:20 pm

tracyp

New Here

I just went to pick up a Cochin and an Old English Game hen from someone who had mistakenly bought the birds without checking to see if they could be kept in a residential neighbourhood. They can't of course so he put them on Kijiji to rehome them for free.

When I got there the 2 birds he mentioned were fine and healthy however he had a 3rd speckled sussex with a bad leg. I of course being the sucker I am, took all 3 with me as I had originally thought that the sussex had splay leg as they had been kept in a birdcage with a wire bottom ( not the usual cross hatch style but just straight bars).

Now that I have her home I'm thinking it might be something else. Her right leg sticks straight back and looks like it has actually rotated? Her front leg is in the right position but her toes aren't quite right either. I don't know if that could be due it being forced into an awkward position from the right leg injury. I would post pics but can't figure out how?

She's not showing any other symptoms, is eager to eat/drink and the other 2 are fine. I would like to help her out but can't bear to see her like this it looks terribly painful. I'm hoping it's not Mareks but honestly don't know. I have all 3 in isolation and won't be adding them to the general population until I get this poor girl sorted out.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Hi tracyp,

First of all welcome to the forum. 8 Week old Sussex with Major Leg Problem 1440965184

As for uploading pictures here is a link to a tutorial on how to do so. Smile
Pic upload tutorial

By the sounds of things it could be as a result of an injury that was sustained earlier on and this is how it has healed/progressed. If you are able to share pics, it might help to get a better idea.

Cheers,

Jonny

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Welcome to the forum!

Is the joint on the rotated leg also enlarged and hardened (not soft and swollen), compared to the other leg?

I have this occasionally happen to my Houdan chicks.  It worsens as they age and there is no reversing it.  A humane euthanization is my only solution.

Toybarons, who also raises Houdans has a little more info and ideas for prevention in breeds you know are prone.  I believe her studies show less food and less protein in general as they grow will help prevent this, but once it happens there is no cure.

Sorry.

Derbyshire

Derbyshire

Schipperkesue, at what age does the leg start to rotate?

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum