Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

You found me, hello again!!

+3
appway
Ruffledfeathers
Derbyshire
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1You found me, hello again!! Empty You found me, hello again!! Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:41 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

Wow it's been nearly two years, I guess having a toddler does that!
Thanks for the email Jonny stirring up the members.
Nice to see some familiar names still kicking around Smile
We still have some poultry, 9 red sussex who are laying very well for us. A pair of saxony's who are not, lol. Not sure what I am going to do about them.
We are considering finally trying some meat birds now that have a travelling tractor but need some inspiration.
It has been a helluva a few years with too much animal loss, working, being mom to our 4.5 yr old boy.
I am just now getting back in the saddle and am a little reluctant to take on something new.

So

Anyone gonna tell me meat birds are easy?? scratch

2You found me, hello again!! Empty Re: You found me, hello again!! Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:42 am

Derbyshire

Derbyshire

How about trying some of those alternative meat breeds? They seem to have better survivability, although they eat more and take a longer time to get there........

3You found me, hello again!! Empty Re: You found me, hello again!! Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:58 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Depends on what breed you want to go with. I'm sure it can't be any worse than running down your little man. I have 2 little men myself so I feel your pain figuratively speaking, lol.

What were you thinking of? MG's , Freedoms, Cornish, ?????

4You found me, hello again!! Empty Re: You found me, hello again!! Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:50 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good to see you Back

5You found me, hello again!! Empty Re: You found me, hello again!! Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:54 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Welcome back! Johnny did a good job with that email!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

6You found me, hello again!! Empty Re: You found me, hello again!! Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:59 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Welcome back!!!

Glad to see you found your way.

I am not 100% sure on the different types of meat varieties that are available.
I have heard the Mistral Gris are rather decent as are the freedom rangers.

Hope you find some good info and advice.

What are you looking for in a meat breed?

7You found me, hello again!! Empty Re: You found me, hello again!! Thu May 07, 2015 10:57 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

Thx all!
Looking for something that isn't going to croak before we get to it. Not a dual purpose, tried that.
Might have to just start off with something at Buckerfields/Rochester hatchery?
We have a brooder area in a stall and the tractor on grass when they can move out. The weather is nice here but with how quick they grow i wonder if they will even make it there?? Also I hear we have to book our butcher date well ahead of time?
I miss eating chicken, I rarely buy it at the store...but I am not into using the organ meat so I struggle with the whole thing...feels like a waste of an animal...even though I am sure friends would trade us something for giving them the organs...

8You found me, hello again!! Empty Re: You found me, hello again!! Fri May 08, 2015 7:53 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hi

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum