Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

how do you train you puppy to not chase chickens

+3
Farmer Bob
authenticfarm
vic's chicks
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

vic's chicks

We just got a 9 week old cockapoo. He definitely wants to chase the birds. I had a terrible time teaching my black lab who was 4 months when we got her. I don't want to make the same mistakes with this one. I read some posts about different methods but can't find them now.

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I went with really good fences. Smile

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I'm inclined to agree with authenticfarm.

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

maybe depends on thebreed but all our puppies were quickly trained by having them on a leash when you do yourchores and swift correction when they lunged or snapped at anything.
i do think its possible to have dogs that respect chickens and all of your pets but most if my dogs have been cattle breeds to some extent so that might help

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I think Miry's method should work. A sharp tug on the leash at the right moment will really help. Fuzzy had to get rather serious with her lab that was several months old when she adopted her. Somewhere on the forum is a description that has made me smile several times. There was physical lifting of the dog and a snow bank involved I believe. Oh how I wished for a video camera

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

When our German Shepherd was around 7 months I would sit with her in the yard with the chickens running loose, and when she even twitched in their direction I would put her on her side and lay on top of her commanding 'leave it!'. She got the message after a only a few times. She is 8 years old now, and does not chase the chickens. Of course, I still have to make sure and not chase the chickens myself when she can see me, because if its ok for me, she thinks its ok for her, and we are playing a game Evil or Very Mad . A stern 'Leave it' will send her slinking away from pretty much anything these days.

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

Fluffy

Fluffy

I agree with all the above. better fence, leash training tugs, there is one more method.

A caged chicken in safety and you with pup( on lead) hang around it walk around it sit by it. There is no staring by the pup at all, that action is reprimanded by a poke, saying...leave it. You have got a great start if you get the pup to relax and act uninterested in that bird.
Most of my dogs had been trained just like above, by taking leashed dog with me to do chores.
They were told to lay and stay where tied. Any movement from that was scolded n started again.
The most difficult dog I had to train in the past was the field Spaniel...Bird dogs go figure lol But persistence eventually worked.
I have never trained a puppy with chickens, and puppies attention span for lessons is so dang short. Life is a big world of play for bouncing rolie polie pups!

I know a person will take a long time before they give the freedom trust to their companion canine, but I hope your journey in this is short. and easy. Because It will make life sooooo much easier once you get there.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum