Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Imported Jumbo US Coturnix hatching eggs

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Imported Jumbo US Coturnix hatching eggs Empty Imported Jumbo US Coturnix hatching eggs Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:38 pm

Perryschofield

Perryschofield
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hi

I had planned to leave this announcement until Sept. 9th, but after talking to my partner, he said it was ok to announce it now. I have been talking with Robby Richard, of James Marie Farms, ( http://www.jamesmariefarms.com/index.html) in Church Point, Louisiana, USA  for over a year and a half to set up an exchange of hatching eggs. Our major requirement was that it had to be 100% legal with all the proper paperwork on both sides completed. We both felt this was the only way to go so we could then advertise without having to worry about any legal problem.

About 5 years ago, I started selling Coturnix eggs on the internet.  From the beginning, after I posted pictures of my Silver Coturnixes online, I began receiving requests from the US for eggs from my Silvers and their different variations. There are NONE in the US.  Anyone who has the Silver gene in Canada has my line as I have kept it going for 28 years.  I always had to refuse the US requests because of the legal requirements.  Robby was the first one to approach me who was willing to go through with the legal requirements. He really wanted to  bring the Silver gene to the US, while I really wanted to bring the true Jumbos to Canada.   I am very happy to announce it is taking place right now!  He received his first shipment of 72 eggs containing the Silver gene today and I mailed out his second order of 72 eggs today.  I will be sending out two more orders of 72 eggs each to him before September 15th.

On Sept. 8th, he will be mailing the first 200 eggs (100 true Texas A & M, and 100 Jumbo Pharaohs) to me.  They are some of the largest Jumbos available in the whole US. He has had birds reach over a pound (over 460 grams). There are no birds in Canada to the best of my knowledge which can do that. I have  already arranged to borrow another incubator from a friend to put half the eggs in to guard against losing them all to an incubator accident. A second order of 200 eggs will be sent to me two weeks after that. It will contain 50 eggs of his white breasted pharaohs, (called Churchhills, after the community he lives in)  a new variety he developed,  and another colour plus more jumbos. With luck, I should have the first US jumbos hatched by the end of September with my first Jumbo eggs available for sale by the third week of November.  

I will continue to sell the eggs from the many colours of Coturnixes (10 colours) I now raise. They will be available in either a 36 or 72 egg size order, same as now. The foams I currently use will only hold 72 eggs. The cost of 36 eggs plus shipping foam and box will be $20 and 72 eggs plus shipping foam and box will be $40. All shipping to be paid by the buyer.

Due to the larger size of the jumbo eggs, I will be using a new foam with only 52 egg holes.  That is the only size the Jumbos will be available in.  All orders will have 25 Texas A & M eggs, and 25 of the Jumbo Pharoahs (normal colour). With any luck hatching, I hope to have some available by late November. The 50 eggs will be $50 plus $10 for the shipping foam and box which equals $60.  Shipping will be paid by the buyer.  As soon as I see how my hatch goes,  I will know when I will have eggs for sale. The jumbos will only be available by pre-booking, maximum order 100 eggs, 15% deposit required. I will sell no 2nd orders to anyone until the first pre-booked orders are filled. I want to get the eggs into the hands of as many breeders as possible. They are true meat Coturnixes. If you would like to be added to a list for the Jumbos, please email ( perryaschofield@gmail.com  )me your name and phone numbers. I will email or phone you back as soon as I have Jumbo eggs available that you can pre-book.

My other colour Coturnix eggs will continue being available for shipping starting again on September 18th. No pre-booking or deposit is required for them.

Check out Robby Richard's home page at http://www.jamesmariefarms.com He has some great  pictures of his Jumbos and the other colours he raises.

Last edited by Perryschofield on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.pandlgamebirds.ca

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

that is very exciting news indeed perry! now heres hoping for great hatches on both sides of the border!
how long does it take to raise them to 1lb?
i tried your link but was not able to access the page?

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Perryschofield

Perryschofield
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Just search on James Marie Farms and it should pop up.

Perryschofield

Perryschofield
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

thanks perry that is a great website they have there!
wonder if they ship foam mailers to canada? sounds like they have all sizes

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Perryschofield

Perryschofield
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hi

The adventure continues. I have been able to get 3 of my 4 orders across to Robby Richard of James Marie Farms in Churchhill, Louisiana, so far. Three orders of 72 eggs have made it through custom, and the last one 36 eggs was mailed yesterday (Friday, Sept 12th.) He mailed his first order of 200 to me last Monday but they were turned back at the border. He did not put the port of entry on his export form. The port of entry is not required in Canada. Did not put it on any of mine. The US still requires it. Since he raises 10,00 coturnixs on his farm I don't think he will have any problems getting another order of eggs to send me next Monday. Hopefully this one will make it across. He was telling me on the phone today that he has had several request from across Canada for his Jumbo eggs. After all the trouble he has had to do it legal this time he is going to send all his request to me as the source of his Jumbos in Canada.

It has been a learning event for me. Due to where I am located in Northern Alberta it has ended up costing me over double what I plan to spend. In order to get my farm inspected for export it had to be inspected by a CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency) vet. The nearest one too me is located in Peace River Alberta. The charge for travel one way (thank heaven only one way) was $3.50 a kilometre. Since Peace river is over 220 km from me it was over $775 for just travel. On top of that was the travel time for the vet and the time for her time at the farm, and then the lab testing fee and paperwork The rules have really tighten up a lot in the last few years. It would still be feasible if you lived very close to a CFIA vet, but otherwise not worth exporting. I will never do another export to the US as long as I live where I am currently living.

I will be the sales point for his Jumbos in Canada and he will be the sales point for my Silver line (and its variations) in the US which he will market under the name Schofield Silvers. He just candled some of the first eggs I sent this Thursday. Robby said he has never ever candled Coturnix eggs before. Said he just couldn't wait to see if he would get chicks. 2 of the first three he candles were fertile, so he did not want to handle the rest of the eggs. If it hold true for the average of eggs I ship which are in the mail for over 5 days (so far has taken 5-7 days to get to him) he should get around 45-60 percent hatch. I have found travel distance and time in the mail system can really reduce hatch rate. Especially in a couple of provinces.

If he does get 50% hatch he should get at least 36 chicks per 72 eggs. My test hatch of the pens setup I used for him produced at least 1/3 of the chicks showing the silver gene. He has told me that as long as he can get two or three chicks, with his facility, he will have several hundred silver chicks to sell in the US next spring. If there are no problems and the last three orders show the same fertility rate I figure he should get at least 40-50 birds showing the Silver gene. That would be all of my silver variations - Silver Pharaoh, True Silver (solid Blue/grey Bird), Silver Tuxedo, Charcoal, and Charcoal Tuxedo.

Robby has assured me that he will keep shipping till at least 4 orders of one hundred (total 400) gets to me.

Perryschofield

Perryschofield
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hi

Yes, he does ship foam mailers to Canada. However, due to shipping cost the price doubles by the time I get them. I have also bought foam mailers from Cutler Supplies in the US.

Foam shippers are expensive, but it is the ONLY way I will ship eggs.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum