Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Silkie Topknots, Could I dampen them on warm days so they can see better?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Just thought I would ask a weird question. My Silkies have a hard time seeing with such big fluffy topknots of feathers on their heads.

Could I dampen those feathers with warm water, on warm days when they are out in their run, so they can see better? I really don't want to trim

the topknots. Has anybody had any experience with this?

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I used to use terry pony tail holders on my Polish top nots so she could see, it keeps the feathers out of their eyes, and doesn't damage the feathers

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

That must have looked funny, but if it worked who cares.  Very Happy  Did you take them off daily or how did you do that? Can you get things like that

still? I never was a girlie girl and neither was our daughter. Amazing what will work, when you get inventive.  cheers  Thanks for answering, I

am going to look in the dollar stores or Wal-Mart. I really didn't want them to have a wet head, but they sure can't see very well. The topknots are

so beautiful I don't want to trim them. Mind you they aren't even out right now, they have been out the last two mornings and then the sky goes

black and down comes the rain, we'll have a ripping thunderstorm soon. The one we had yesterday was a humdinger, went on for hours. So they

get shut back in their coops. Hope your weather is better. Thanks for the idea.  Smile 

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I think you better post a picture when they have their pony tails...

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

In the winter my silkies and Houdans get icicle crests.

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Where I got my silkies from, they had never been out, summer or winter. So summer is good enough for me. Don't want to lose them. They really

enjoy getting out in the sunshine. Must be an ants nest there somewhere, because they are chasing and eating ants for all they are worth. New

food to them.

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Why not try hair gel??

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Now seriously, lol would you like to see a mess???? It would be on me, and all over the chickens, except on the topknot. I appreciate the

suggestion, but I'm one of those people, it's not a good suggestion for.  No 

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

oh go on now! You and the silkies could have matching "do's"!!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I think in this case the do's better be don'ts.  Laughing 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum