Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sending thoughts and prayers for those being evacuated from Northwest Alberta.

+2
rosewood
Echo 1
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My heart goes out to all those that are being evacuated due to the wild fires. Praying for your safety and the safety of everything you hold dear! Be safe!

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Our thoughts and prayers here. We are forever nervous during fire season.

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We are too, Okanagan Mountain Park fire stopped 1 km from our home in 2003.  We had huge clumps of ash and smoldering pine needles land on our place..... something you don't forget.   I smell a fire and those memories rush in.

Rosewood, did you live in Barriere that summer?

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

That was a very bad summer. The Highway was closed both directions due to big fires (one the size of Belgium!!) so although we were on "evacuation alert" not sure where we were supposed to go as the Highway is the only way out. Maybe they were planning on sending helicopters? I can just see my dogs responding well to THAT idea! Power also runs along the highway, as does phone, so both of those were down for over a week (we have no "terrestrial" radio, no cell phone service). A scary, isolating time. Could not see the mountains due to smoke, hard to breathe at times. Then suddenly it was over.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

The hardest part with living close, but still far enough to be safe is wishing I could help, but knowing that I can't do much as I only have one corral available. I have no horse trailer that is useable right now to help haul animals to safety, and to top it off I can't do much as my children need me at home, and hubby is working close to the fire zone, so I sit at home worrying each day waiting for his call in the evening telling me that everyone is safe and secure

I wish I could do more Sad I have been praying for a good soaking from the rain, but fear the lightning strikes may start another one. We are super dry where we are also, so every time we have a lightning storm I fear the worst

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Will be thinking of you and your hubby! Yikes there is a large fire burning in West Kelowna.  It is in an area of hobby farms, our local riding club is accepting the evacuated horses.  I too feel helpless.  I am maxed out for horses and chickens here but could take in a few dogs in a pinch

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We did live here in 2003 ands were evacuted on three occasions. We had losses as a result of the fiire, but our home was not part of the losses. Our small flock of Gold Laced Wyandottes and our herd of Highland cattle survived. The fire burned to about a kilometer from our house to both the west and the south. Our Costco portable garage had holes from embers burned through the roof, but did not catch fire. We limped from here to Bridge Lake with a propane driven truck with no fuel in the tank. We drove 5 kilometers per hour up the steep hill west of Little Fort using a borrowed propane cyclinder. I sat in a roadside rest area while my wife and daughter went into Bridge Lake to refill a propane cyclinder. From where I sat you could look back over the North Thompson valley which was under an atomic bomb like cloud of smoke. Three days later I returned to bring out the animals and to find our house still standing. It was 6 weeks before the smoke finally cleared. My cousin lost his house in Kelowna in the 2003 there.

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

It's drizzling. Cannot describe the relief. Let's hope it is rain everywhere its burning too.

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We moved from Kelowna to here on Aug 2 2003 leaving
at 3am to travel in the cool of the day for the animals.
When we got to Vernon to head north we were diverted
to Salmon Arm and around due to the fire.
We were a bit worried about getting through but made it.

I took this picture this morning just after 7 am. It is so
dark I have to have lights on in the house to see.
Good thing it is raining now hope it soaks everything down.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sadly there is no rain here today..just gusty winds which are not helping the fire crews. Glad there is rain for some of you

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Didn't amount to anything though.. those gusty winds and clear skies this morning too. Sigh.

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Its raining solidly here. Hope it's the same all over for you all!

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We had some light rain this morning. The cooler temperatures will help and there is more rain in the forecast. Since there are ties to the Netherlands here some prayers for the many that lost their lives in warfare are in order as well.

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Not a drop of rain here today (Saturday) but cloudless blue skies and sunshine, 24C and gusty wind.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum