Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Finally Planting a proper vegetable garden...follow along as it grows!

+6
Bowker Acres
Mads
KathyS
smokyriver
Farmer Bob
Jonny Anvil
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm trying Brandywine and Sweet 100 too this year.

Also managed to find Lemon Boy. Very happy with that one. It's my favourite.

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Most of these varieties are new to me, some are favorites that Chickee's mom introduced me to, or at least if I recall correctly it was the sweet million, sungold and tumbler. I had received in recent years from her when I did a tomato/pepper patch in a 4x6 raised garden.

The lemon boy is one of my favs as well been too long since I have enjoyed one.

It's been raining on and off for the past few days, so I can't even walk through the rows with out boards, but nothing has sprouted yet... lol too early Smile

Smoky,

Send what your heart desires..... anything is appreciated but don't send the whole farm.. lol
A few toms and some basil would be well received..

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I first read that as "a few tonnes of basil". Wow!

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

I would be making lots and lots of tomato sauce, wonder what a tonne of basil would look like all piled up.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

You'd probably get a quick visit from the RCMP.

Johnny Anvil in the news. RCMP confiscated a tonne of basil today as they crack down on illegal growers. The Italian community is protesting in the streets. The find is said to have a street value of twenty dollars.

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Fowler wrote:You'd probably get a quick visit from the RCMP.

Johnny Anvil in the news.  RCMP confiscated a tonne of basil today as they crack down on illegal growers.  The Italian community is protesting in the streets.  The find is said to have a street value of twenty dollars.  

LOL

Sources say the basil was being marketed as an Organic strain, and being spread around the community.

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

So how is that garden going? Haven't heard from you for awhile??

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

lady leghorn wrote:So how is that garden going?   Haven't heard from you for awhile??

Hey,
Well the garden is sure growing. I have been so busy with studies, tending to the birds, and attending numerous family gatherings, birthday, stag parties, weddings, etc. I have not had as much time to weed the garden as I would have liked to... But things are growing very well this season. I have not added any fertilizer other than the compost I tilled in at the start.

Everything has come up... So far!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I kind of neglected my tomatoes this past week. I need to get in there and do some work, plus fertilize, and start supporting them.

The Peppers have really taken off, not sure what kind these are as they were gifted from the local greenhouse Smile

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Wow, weeds or not, it's really looking good.  cheers 

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

If they're not hot, those could be Carmen peppers. One of my faves. Don't care for hot peppers.

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Not a big fan of hot peppers either. Not sure when to harvest it, my bell peppers I have figured out but this is a mystery to me.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

If they're Carmen, they'll turn red.

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Fowler, you have just saves an entire bed of peppers in my greenhouse. I thought for sure I only planted a very few hot peppers and had planted 3 beds worth of bell peppers. I have an entire bed of peppers that look just like Johnny's, and thought they were cayenne. Now I remember planting Carmen peppers because I thought it would be cool to plant a pepper with my own name. Forgot I planted them!! I almost pulled them all up as I just don't need that many hot peppers.

Incidentally, they look a lot like a pepper I grew last year called Salsa garden. They are a mild to pepper, great for salsa.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bowker Acres wrote:Fowler, you have just saves an entire bed of peppers in my greenhouse.  I thought for sure I only planted a very few hot peppers and had planted 3 beds worth of bell peppers.  I have an entire bed of peppers that look just like Johnny's, and thought they were cayenne.  Now I remember planting Carmen peppers because I thought it would be cool to plant a pepper with my own name.  Forgot I planted them!!  I almost pulled them all up as I just don't need that many hot peppers.  

Incidentally, they look a lot like a pepper I grew last year called Salsa garden.  They are a mild to pepper, great for salsa.

I think we need a picture of there Carmen peppers of yours! What are you planning to do with them all?

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

[url=http://s1176 .photobucket.com/user/carmenb3/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsc919a91a.jpg.html][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/url]

These are the peppers, but after a quick taste, they are not Carmen.  They are not hot enough for cayenne either.  They must have been miss labeled at the growers end.

These are called Candy Bell from Parks.  They are heavy bearing and grow large.  These ones are almost ready to eat.  
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Beauties!

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Heh Labels are only as accurate as the guy putting them on. Just have to hope the guy had his coffee that morning. Took me a couple of tries to get a Sensation Lilac. The first two I got turned out to be Miss Kim (I think).

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Beautiful to see your gardens growing, and that you seem to be enjoying life, Jonny, cool. Those elongated green peppers, I grow one called red shephard, it starts out green of course, and then turns red, it is very similar to a sweet red bell pepper and very sweet, not hot. So many peppers have that tapered shape, could be one of who knows what....my garden is like a monster this year. I will soon need to get out and take some pictures too and make a thread for everyone, but that is for later, when I am not out of the house at 6:00 doing stuff. Seems that is the time I let birds out and then the day begins, makes not much time to be playing on the internet. Wanna see more pics, smiling.....have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Jonny, we need another post on your garden progress???? Plus pictures please.  Very Happy 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum