Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Making little planting pots

+2
authenticfarm
Schipperkesue
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Making little planting pots Empty Making little planting pots Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:14 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

You guys are imaginative. Give me some ideas.

Lee Valley has a cool wooden form that you can use to wrap newspaper around and make little planting pots that will dissolve when put in the ground, thus keeping roots of seedlings undisturbed. Anyone have any other ideas for making such pots or using some other found material that will give me the same effect?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Making little planting pots Empty Re: Making little planting pots Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:15 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Are you on Pinterest? Pinterest has tons of gardening ideas like that ...

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

3Making little planting pots Empty Re: Making little planting pots Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:29 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I will have a look. My EA suggests cardboard egg cartons...d'oh!

4Making little planting pots Empty Re: Making little planting pots Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:30 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:You guys are imaginative. Give me some ideas.

Lee Valley has a cool wooden form that you can use to wrap newspaper around and make little planting pots that will dissolve when put in the ground, thus keeping roots of seedlings undisturbed. Anyone have any other ideas for making such pots or using some other found material that will give me the same effect?

I make those pots all the time. Lets see ..
Just tried this and it works. Use a campbell soup can. Wrap the paper around and fold under the ends. Press real hard into carpet. You will have to adjust the size of the paper used. You will find that the bottom doesn't stay flat it will pop up. Not sure how to fix that because there is no groove as with the pot maker. Hope this helps
Geri

5Making little planting pots Empty Re: Making little planting pots Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:34 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hmmm, I am thinking loosely wrapped around a tiny tomato paste can with a big hole punched in the bottom.

have to use a blanket...we have no carpet.

6Making little planting pots Empty Re: Making little planting pots Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:37 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I saw one idea that used the cardboard tubes from toilet paper as seed starters.

7Making little planting pots Empty Re: Making little planting pots Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:43 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Hmmm, I am thinking loosely wrapped around a tiny tomato paste can with a big hole punched in the bottom.

have to use a blanket...we have no carpet.

If its too loose it won't hold together. Remember youhave to wet that paper . Even with the pot maker if they are too loose they don't work. PAste cans won't give you enough soil I don't think. Soup can is closer to the size I make just a little bigger.

8Making little planting pots Empty Re: Making little planting pots Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:48 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

authenticfarm wrote:I saw one idea that used the cardboard tubes from toilet paper as seed starters.

Oh, I have been collecting...but not long enough! We need to poop more at home I think. Even my pasty bum has not helped.

9Making little planting pots Empty Re: Making little planting pots Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:02 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:
authenticfarm wrote:I saw one idea that used the cardboard tubes from toilet paper as seed starters.

Oh, I have been collecting...but not long enough! We need to poop more at home I think. Even my pasty bum has not helped.

Eww?

10Making little planting pots Empty Re: Making little planting pots Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:06 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rasilon wrote:
Schipperkesue wrote:

Eww?

Sorry, joke from a previous thread. I assure you, our bums are very clean here.

11Making little planting pots Empty Re: Making little planting pots Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:52 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have tried using egg shells. You crack just enough off the top of the shell to empty the contents to cooking, then fill the shell with dirt and plant your seed in. Use an egg carton or flat to hold them. To transplant you can crack the shell a little more, then plant in the ground

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

12Making little planting pots Empty Re: Making little planting pots Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:58 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ha, this just popped up on my Pinterest!

13Making little planting pots Empty Re: Making little planting pots Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:19 pm

At the cost of peat moss planters is it really worth all the effort to make your own ? Not that I don't understand wanting to do it ,just $2.50 cents for 26-- 2" Jiffy pots isn;t that much money ?

14Making little planting pots Empty Re: Making little planting pots Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:28 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

All right, I will also accept the names of places where peat pots are the cheapest!

15Making little planting pots Empty Re: Making little planting pots Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:17 pm

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have a set of soil blockers that I just can't seem to get the hang of. If I were closer I would get them to you. I would love to give them to someone who would give them a more serious try than I did. The soil recipe that came with the blockers had some liquid fish emulsion as a fertilizer and I couldn't handle the smell. It was awful!! Those that use them really like them.

16Making little planting pots Empty Re: Making little planting pots Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:30 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hmm, hadn't thought of soil blockers.

17Making little planting pots Empty Re: Making little planting pots Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:33 pm

Crappy Tire is selling Peat Moss planters fairly cheap ,I read somewhere that Jiffy sold to another company ? so that might be why they are selling off the stock cheap ?

18Making little planting pots Empty Re: Making little planting pots Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:34 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:All right, I will also accept the names of places where peat pots are the cheapest!

Dollarama 26 round peat pots for $1.00

I like the paper pot becasue they sit in the trays better. I have made hundreds f them

19Making little planting pots Empty Re: Making little planting pots Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:48 pm

Rasilon wrote:
Schipperkesue wrote:All right, I will also accept the names of places where peat pots are the cheapest!

Dollarama 26 round peat pots for $1.00

I like the paper pot becasue they sit in the trays better. I have made hundreds f them
not a big fan of Dollarama.......but that is cheap !

20Making little planting pots Empty Re: Making little planting pots Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:33 pm

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Schipperkesue wrote:You guys are imaginative. Give me some ideas.

Not sure if mentioned already but a Campbell soup can works same way exactly. I have done it that way for at least five years. Works good.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum