Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Getting ready for goslings

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Getting ready for goslings Empty Getting ready for goslings Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:09 pm

vic's chicks

I just realized that our goose should be hatching some babies starting wednesday if she is successful and I know absolutely nothing about goslings. Do I need anything special for them to eat? Will she leave the nest right away? Will she take them back there at night? Should I put food and water in the house for them? Will the other goose try to hurt them? Lately the other female who is not yet sitting attacks her when she gets off the nest. Nothing serious just some feather pulling . The gander is bonded with the one who is not sitting so not sure how it will all play out with him when the goslings show up. Excited and nervous at the same time.

2Getting ready for goslings Empty Re: Getting ready for goslings Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:01 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

How exciting! My Toulouse goose just hatched two goslings last week from her nest in a kennel in a dog run (I had hopes for more, she had 7 eggs). She and her mate are SUCH good parents! I think the goslings hatched about 24 hours before I saw them - but I certainly heard them and the gander, who spent most of the incubation period standing outside the kennel where the goose had her nest, had his head in the kennel talking to the goose the whole time.

First, make sure there is no water where the goslings can drown. I have a bucket of water tied to the fence where the adults can dip their heads but the goslings can't reach. I have whole wheat in the bottom of the bucket - crows can't get it and it is food for the adults Then a small container of water with a brick in the middle where the goslings can drink and dunk their heads but cannot climb in and drown (I had goslings drown the first year I had them - never again!).

I have bought a bag of waterfowl starter - important it is not medicated. Some people use unmedicated chick feed. It is small crumbles so easy for goslings to eat. I put it on a saucer where the goslings can reach it in the morning and the evening. The goose especially will eat it too (important to make sure she is eating well, she missed a lot of food while incubating) and the goslings will copy her.

I have two extra Toulouse ganders - they have been living outside the dog run during incubation - choosing to go into the hay barn at night. I was careful to make sure they were not going to attack the goslings but, as I've found before, they are almost as caring of the goslings as their parents. So when I'm around the barnyard I let the whole flock out together and they go for long walks to eat what little grass there is, get grit and whatever necessary things geese and goslings need. I'm amazed to find that in the evening the goose and gander and goslings are outside the dog run, ready to go to bed. As far as I can see at sunset the goose goes back in the kennel and the goslings are tucked under her and the gander stands guard again.

Be careful of predators including crows and ravens! I'm nervous but the combination of good parents, vigilant "uncles" and very gentle dogs (I would never have believed two dogs could be as untempted by two such tiny squeaky things)

Love goslings.

Good luck with yours! Let us know how it goes.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum