Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Avian Pox

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Avian Pox  Empty Avian Pox Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:30 am

Buff

Buff

I'm wondering if anybody has ever dealt with this or knows more about it. I was speaking with a lady about her two roosters and she mentioned they were getting over this. She said it was avian pox dry from. 
So I'm wondering once a bird gets this are they always contagious or carry it? Do you vaccinate against it? This makes me thinks perhaps I should vaccinate against it. Your guys input would be great!

2Avian Pox  Empty Re: Avian Pox Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:19 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Buff there are two types of Pox dry and wet. The wet is not as common as the dry. In the dry the birds will have white warty looking bumps on the comb and wattles that get larger and then get bleeding black scabs. The disease can effect growth because if it is around the eyes the can't see to eat. Also will effect egg production. The pox virus survives for many months on scabs and feathers of birds that have it. There is no treatment and some birds will be lost by secondary infections or being unable to eat. It usually takes2-4 weeks to recover from but some birds will be carriers esp. During stress.

Wet Pox- not as common and affects the upper respiratory area. Speeds slowly expect in areas of lots of mosquitoes and will last 3-5 weeks per bird birds of all ages except newly hatched chicks.  Affected birds will have the same whitish wart like bumps on the face but also goes down the wind pipe. As they get larger they turn yellow and cheesy and the birds will wheeze and have nasal and eye discharge.  Spreading is the same as dry pox, and transmission for both types is though wounds and spreads by feathers, scabs from infected birds and also by mites, mosquitoes and wild birds. Might also spread from infected breeders to chicks through hatching eggs there by causing disease when infected birds are under stress. There is no vaccine for either type from what I know

This info was taken from the Chicken Health Handbook which is a great book to have on the bookshelf.

I have never heard of this disease in the flocks of anyone I know here in Western Canada but know they have problems with it in certain parts of the U.S and with people not researching the flocks they are purchasing from you never know.

Heather

Last edited by viczoe on Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

http://www.triple-h.ca

3Avian Pox  Empty Re: Avian Pox Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:11 pm

Buff

Buff

Thanks Heather 
So am I understanding correctly so once they have it, it can flare up with a secondary infection or something weaking their immune system. I read that this is an airborne virus can travel on dust, food, even misquote can pass the virus off. So is the best thing would be to cull the bird? Or birds?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum