Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What to feed them...

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What to feed them... Empty What to feed them... Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:37 am

Kimberly K

Kimberly K

So the family went to the Wetaskiwin Poultry & Pigeon show yesterday. Not only did my daughter walk out of their with a pedigree bunny, but my husband decided on a pair of Royal Palm Turkey's. It was a complete spur of the moment thing so probably not the best idea but when we got home and did some research we felt not to bad on the decision.

Right now there in a spot in our barn until I don't notice anything odd though we will be placing them in the same coop as our chickens once the waiting period is over. At least that is the plan unless my husband manages to get the time to build something for them this spring/summer, but that isn't likely due to his work schedule.

My main concern is feed. Will the Turkeys be okay off layer ration along with whatever fruits/veggies I give them? Or should I be placing something out that is specific for their needs? If I do, will it be a problem for my layers?

Help please!

2What to feed them... Empty Re: What to feed them... Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:43 am

Butterboy

Butterboy

I have fed turkeys on layers ration, and layers on turkey ration. They are pretty easy going. In the summer if they have access to pasture, the can get up to 40% of their feed from it and they love veggies through the winter.

3What to feed them... Empty Re: What to feed them... Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:45 am

Kimberly K

Kimberly K

Okay, that's great to know and eases my mind a ton.

Thanks a lot!

4What to feed them... Empty Re: What to feed them... Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:46 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Try for 4 weeks on their own. My vet says anything percolating should be clear by then.

I keep chickens and turkeys together in winter and as Butterboy says they both seem to eat layer or grower or turkey pellets quite happily. I'm more careful with the young stock.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

5What to feed them... Empty Re: What to feed them... Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:06 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I saw those turkeys, they are gorgeous! Congrats!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

6What to feed them... Empty Re: What to feed them... Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:11 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I thought turkeys and chickens were not supposed to be housed together do to black head?

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

7What to feed them... Empty Re: What to feed them... Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:16 pm

Kimberly K

Kimberly K

These two I have were raised around chickens and shared the same pen in the winter. For some silly reason we didn't think to ask about the food situation at the same time... Now what is black head?  

8What to feed them... Empty Re: What to feed them... Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:58 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Kimberly K wrote:These two I have were raised around chickens and shared the same pen in the winter. For some silly reason we didn't think to ask about the food situation at the same time... Now what is black head?  

good question......a disease of some sort I am not totally familiar with sorry.

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

9What to feed them... Empty Re: What to feed them... Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:17 pm

Butterboy

Butterboy

I have always kept them together, and never had any issues. I know some other people have had issues, but others have not, and it is rarely an issue with adults.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum