Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

gotta ask what you-all think

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1gotta ask what you-all think Empty gotta ask what you-all think Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:01 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Here is the scenario:  you be the judge
1)I am anal retentive about my dogs.  They are never allowed the opportunity to be off our property unless i am with them; in other words our yard is tight..or so i thought
2)I have some very expensive dogs.  This one in particular i imported from Wales and he has a lot of training on him making him worth about 2500.00-3500.00
3)he is stupid around cars
I have a young bitch in heat-so i locked her and my other bitch up in the barn.  Left my male and another dog in our yard..which is fully fenced.

I was out walking our dogs in our field on Saturday morning and was told casually by one of our neighbors that my male was out on the road on Wednesday!...
Apparently one of my neighbors had seen my boy high tailing it down the road towards her truck and ran right underneath it.  She stopped, got him in the truck and took him to the neighbor #1 above who shot him back inside our yard.
I phoned yet another neighbor(neighbor#2) to get the phone number of the woman who had picked our boy up to thank her..and this neighbor says that he knew my male was on the road, because he had seen him..but was in a hurry, so didn't bother to pick him up!

So...here's the thing.  i am pissed to say the least.  first that neighbor #1 didn't tell me my dog had been out until 3 days after the fact....and neighbor#2 just driving passed my dog because he was in a hurry.
I know it is my responsibility to keep my dogs in and safe...and i do that.  This was a strange situation (something my male has never done before).... They know what i am like with my dogs and all of my animals for that matter.  I take great pride in looking after them
i am holding a grudge.....help me think straight

2gotta ask what you-all think Empty Re: gotta ask what you-all think Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:20 pm

Bigrock, someone drove down my road one evening last winter and HIT my dog, my LGD, and didn't stop. I think you've got it pretty good if they take time to bother letting you know your dog is out.

I keep my yard tight too except when the gates are frozen open by the plow hill as they are now. One good outcome of the car hit is that Chev doesn't go to the road anymore.

It is our responsibility. Be grateful they slowed down. So many don't. Be thankful one of you let you know there's a breach in your fence. Some would have just called Animal Control and left an anonymous message.

3gotta ask what you-all think Empty Re: gotta ask what you-all think Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:20 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

You can't expect other people to value YOUR dogs the way YOU do! I would be grateful to the neighbor who did the right thing, and let the others know that it is extremely important to you that your dog security is maintained. "PLEASE capture all loose dogs and inform me when they get out."

Curious...if he went under the car was he injured or damaged? Oh...and I had to look twice when you said they shot him in the yard!  Shocked 

4gotta ask what you-all think Empty Re: gotta ask what you-all think Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:26 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

yes..yes...see this is why i ask.
thank you for the grounding...both of you..

no he wan't hit as he ran under her truck...shot him in the yard...me bad english Sad
good points...

5gotta ask what you-all think Empty Re: gotta ask what you-all think Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:44 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am a security freak just like you when it comes to my dogs.  Tons of fences behind fences behind fences.  But I also see the neighbors' dogs running around without the neighbors worrying so clearly I am the only anal dog keeper in the area.  But if those sneaky little Schips got out, they would be gone, and no one could/would stop them.

6gotta ask what you-all think Empty Re: gotta ask what you-all think Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:05 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bigrock, I don't think it's that you expect everyone to stop what they're doing and rescue your dogs. But being the sort of person yourself who would stop and grab a running dog, you are mystified and hurt when other's won't return the favour. IT's the givers and doers in this world that are disappointed by the takers and non-givers. YOu are upset at what seems to you a glaring lack of concern and neighbourly conduct.

Here in our neighbourhood there are horses and someone's horses are out fairly regularly. Without fail the phone rings here because for years Horse Daughter was the go-to horse wrangler and many stray horses either got put back where they belonged, or were stored here, thanks to Horse Daughter. She has moved out now and the phone still rings here, but I DO NOT wrangle horses. I do not handle horses! I am scared of horses.

I composed a Horse List, of all the people up here with horses and their phone numbers and gave a copy to every horse owner so we have a phone chain. Some horse people were unaware of each other. BUt having a list helps with phoning when I get that awful call at 6 in the morning, there are horses on the road! Maybe you can write a paper with your number and description of your dogs and hand it out to neighbours asking them to please call or feel free to deposit dog in your yard. Overall though, it sounds like you have good neighbours, being mad at them is not productive. Better to stay amiable than harbour bad feelings.

7gotta ask what you-all think Empty Re: gotta ask what you-all think Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:57 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Uno, you hit it.. My feelings exactly... thanks for the idea...and advice...such sound advice

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum