Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is There Really A Problem Here?

+3
toybarons
nuthatch333
Dark Wing Duck
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Is There Really A Problem Here? Empty Is There Really A Problem Here? Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:27 am

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Here is a story worthy of discussion.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What are your thoughts on this?

2Is There Really A Problem Here? Empty Re: Is There Really A Problem Here? Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:48 am

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I wonder how hard it is to get a food permit to sell to restaurants. That sounds like the catch 22 to stop all small producers from selling eggs commercially. The contempt charges and salmonella contamination may be a real concern but sounds a bit like a red herring or diversion here. It wouldn't surprise me to find that it is the big producers pushing for these convictions.
Sometimes civil disobedience is the only way to get attention and initiate change.
Hmmm misshapen eggs and manure traces. I gather eggs like that everyday and am still alive and well. We are so far removed from the realities of the farm in this society.

3Is There Really A Problem Here? Empty Re: Is There Really A Problem Here? Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:52 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for the link. Read the story and the comments left there. I find it interesting in how many are treating it like a joke feast. All kidding aside, I kind of feel sorry for the farmer on one hand yet I don't on the other.

I feel sorry for him because here is a guy who has been selling eggs for decades. The extra income likely helps him a bit on his pensions, the eggs keep him active and busy. Then here comes the law that is prepared to throw him in jail for selling eggs but will do sh!t on pushers, pimps and thugs who waltz before the courts daily like it was just a speed bump.

Then I don't feel sorry for him because he should have smartened up after he was arrest previously. If he was charged for health violations such as selling dirty eggs he should have simply cleaned up his business before selling more eggs.

4Is There Really A Problem Here? Empty Re: Is There Really A Problem Here? Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:34 am

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

There is a problem here, but is the problem with our modern factory method of marketing eggs or is it with the farmer? Eggs should not be sold dirty, but ideally should be sold spotlessly clean with the bloom still intact. Salmonella is a common bacteria often present in eggs. Eggs need to be properly cooked and raw eggs handled the same way as we handle ground beef. Why are not the buyers partly responsible particularly restaurants that are selling food containing uninspected eggs? Years ago my wife work for a period of time at a small bakery. When the health inspector showed up the cracked eggs were immediately hidden away.

5Is There Really A Problem Here? Empty Re: Is There Really A Problem Here? Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:25 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you provide food to the public, cracked/dirty eggs are NOT legal for you to use. Period.

The criminals here are the buyers who try to pull a fast one on the public. Jailing the seller is missing the point. YOu can sell a crapper, junker, used car and not go to jail for selling junk. YOu can sell investments that tank and lose your investors money, and you don't go to jail. But a guy with a cracked egg goes to jail? This is wrong.

If he had cracked eggs and a sign that clearly states, these eggs are not fit for human consumption but fine for pets and hurling at houses...then I think he should be free and clear. Licensed food producers who KNOW the rules and break them should be hung out to dry in this case.

6Is There Really A Problem Here? Empty Re: Is There Really A Problem Here? Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:17 am

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I just hope that there isn't going to be a big provincial wide crack down (lol) on buying and selling local eggs!

This old timer clearly doesn't care about the quality of eggs he's trying to sell, nor does he have any respect for the laws that are in place. The article says that he has already been to jail and payed a few fines in regards to this before.

In my opinion, it's guys like this that ruin it for the rest. And yes, I too agree the restaurants are equally to blame!

7Is There Really A Problem Here? Empty Re: Is There Really A Problem Here? Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 am

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

There are laws and then rthere are laws, look at this link

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

http://www.popscoops.com

8Is There Really A Problem Here? Empty Re: Is There Really A Problem Here? Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:23 am

Giddyup

Giddyup

If I were selling to somewhere such as a restaurant perhaps I would bother to get the licence or permit. Although we have one cafe that wants our eggs...but we didn't really have enough and I preferred to keep my regulars happy. I transported those eggs to work to sell, so yes those were illegal sales.
I certainly don't think any less of my work families than the restaurant folks, same eggs, but figured it was a higher risk of getting my wrist slapped.
But, restaurants have to be accountable, and I guess we do to.
I guess I don't really have a great answer!!

9Is There Really A Problem Here? Empty Re: Is There Really A Problem Here? Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:11 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have one restaurant in Saskatoon that buys free range eggs from people like us and also some of the other products, they do well and have a great clientele and do not seem to have a problem with any one. I find no problem with farm raised grown eggs or any other product, rules are getting too restrictive and will one day make us all stop except for our own use.

http://www.popscoops.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum