Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Cock of the walk" article

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1"Cock of the walk" article  Empty "Cock of the walk" article Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:59 pm

Buff

Buff

I just read this article in Chickens magazine. It's about selecting the right rooster for your flock and behaviour/temperament. 
It discuss about a time to mold behaviour of a young cockerel to become a non aggressively/less aggressive male. It touches on how mass breeding for production has put temperament on the back burner and that is why you see a lot more aggression in the white egg layer breeds. It went into saying if you handle you're young cockerels daily it will help down the road with aggression. It also mentions that when you have an aggressive rooster you could tame him by handling him firmly and then bowing their heads until they keep their head down. 
I found it a interesting read. I don't believe all the info in the article but did make me think about how much temperament is important to me in any breed/species I'm working with. I strongly believe there are far to many good temper ones out there to deal with an ill tempered one. I could go on and on as this. However my question is what is everyone else's option on this topic when it comes to there birds when do you draw the line on brains or beauty?

2"Cock of the walk" article  Empty Re: "Cock of the walk" article Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:00 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

My boys are all really good so far. I don't think I would tolerate a rooster who wasn't good. Definitely don't want to pass along a nasty attitude to offspring.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

3"Cock of the walk" article  Empty Re: "Cock of the walk" article Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:37 pm

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Vicious roosters taste great.

I read an article about a guy who had created a stabilized mix that worked for him and then started culling for temperment. If the girls screamed when the rooster grabbed them and they didn't let go, he'd cull, if they attacked people he'd cull, and so on. He says that over a period of 4 years he was able to cull out roosters that appeared to 'rape' the girls, and had gone to roosters that would always dance and show for the girls and were super attentive and protective.

I would assume this is the same way people ended up with fighting cocks. Vicious roosters to obstinate or wild hens has to add up somewhere.

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.com/

4"Cock of the walk" article  Empty Re: "Cock of the walk" article Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:15 pm

Buff

Buff

Sweetened Yes they were working with Rhode Island reds in this article. I guess this is true as well for developing fighting breeds in the selection process. However what is acceptable in the SOP for temperament would also come in to play here I would think. I guess I'm looking at it more on preserving the breed true to itself.

5"Cock of the walk" article  Empty Re: "Cock of the walk" article Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Buff

Buff

authenticfarm wrote:My boys are all really good so far. I don't think I would tolerate a rooster who wasn't good. Definitely don't want to pass along a nasty attitude to offspring.
Authenticfarm are your boys mature? How are they with hens? Are they respectful of you?

6"Cock of the walk" article  Empty Re: "Cock of the walk" article Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:59 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have one mature boy and two that are in the 16-20 week range. They're all good with their girls, are very respectful to me, and can be handled - the one I raised can be handled whenever I want, the other two, I grab off the roost at night with no problems.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum