Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Big Goose Mistake!

+4
uno
KathyS
Piet
loushrop
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Big Goose Mistake! Empty Big Goose Mistake! Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Last night when I put the birds to bed, the American Buff hen for some reason tagged along with the Embdens. It was almost dark and I did not count. She would never usually follow them, so I did not even consider that there was one extra goose. This morning, however; she is badly hurt. The other larger more agressive geese cut her back into her flesh and her neck is badly damaged too, as well as her beak. I washed her with a weak iodine solution and made her a straw bale house and put her alone in a hoop coop where she would not be pecked or picked on. Can I make her a jacket or something to cover the wound in a couple of days when it closes over. I am so so sorry. It was all my fault.

Big Goose Mistake! 20121112

2Big Goose Mistake! Empty Re: Big Goose Mistake! Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:42 pm

loushrop

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

She looks pretty beat up. Please don't blame yourself! Unfortunately we are only human and crap happens. You could put some antibacterial polysporin on her open wounds. If she seems to be in a lot of pain, you can always give her some Tylenol. And keep her separate for awhile. Lou

3Big Goose Mistake! Empty Re: Big Goose Mistake! Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:46 pm

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I would spray blue-kote on it and let her be in her own space until it is healed. Pretty easy fix that one.

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

4Big Goose Mistake! Empty Re: Big Goose Mistake! Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:47 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Aw, how unfortunate. These things happen, and it is amazing how quickly birds can heal after terrible looking injuries. Many people on here swear by using honey on open wounds. Question

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

5Big Goose Mistake! Empty Re: Big Goose Mistake! Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:21 pm

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

KathyS wrote:Aw, how unfortunate. These things happen, and it is amazing how quickly birds can heal after terrible looking injuries. Many people on here swear by using honey on open wounds. Question
honey is good for a lot of things and is indeed a great wound cream, but it has to be unpasteurized.

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

6Big Goose Mistake! Empty Re: Big Goose Mistake! Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:55 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I hate to contradict Piet and his killer bunnies, while it is BEST to have unpasteurized, if all you have in the house is regular honey, use it anyway. It is messy, but helps greatly with infection. If your honey is cold and thick, warm it slightly to make it more pourable or spreadable.

Sometimes our animals do not play well with others.

Hope she pulls through. If given time and a little help, birds can recover amazingly well. Now what to give you? A stiff shot of something alcoholic to remove animal owner guilt. We all get it.

7Big Goose Mistake! Empty Re: Big Goose Mistake! Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:14 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Oh Ewe. Crying or Very sad I am so sorry. We just went through a coyote mauled chicken and her injuries. It has been 5 weeks and last weekend Mattie went back out to the coop. Keeping the wounds clean and dressed with honey really helped our hen. The wounds look bad, Matties did too and she is now doing fabulously with her new feathers and a few scars. We too felt bad that we weren't right there (we were only ft away but around the side of the house. As Lou says crap happens. I'm sure she will be alright if she can just get through the first few days she will probably be fine.

Last edited by cuckoomama on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:38 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : oops!)

8Big Goose Mistake! Empty Re: Big Goose Mistake! Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:44 pm

cuckoomamma, what type of dressing did you apply and how? And what about the cold? Should I make her a jacket or apron or something? I am worried that spot will freeze.

9Big Goose Mistake! Empty Re: Big Goose Mistake! Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:19 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We disinfected the wounds with a 1/2 sterile water, 1/2 betadine solution that the vet gave us and put honey on gauze and tried to keep it on her. The wound was quite extensive (side and under the wing almost totally skinned, no feathers) We wrapped strips of sheet around the gauze and around her but like Houdini, in the morning it was usually laying beside her. I think the more honey you get on her the better. I like Buckwheat honey or Manuka. As far as keeping her warm, we brought Matti into Wes's studio and he had her in by the heat for a week in a cat carrier. If you have a mudroom, or fairly warm barn with a corner, maybe she could be in a wire dog cage if you have one.

10Big Goose Mistake! Empty Re: Big Goose Mistake! Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:19 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

So sorry to hear what happened. I know we blame ourselves but this sort of thing happens to everyone. Your girl should pull through. Just follow everyone's advice on the honey treatment. Many people swear by it and have got real good results using honey. Main thing is to keep her on her own until she heals. Keep her warm but not hot. Pour yourself a favourite beverage and remember that we have all been where you are now so you are in good company Very Happy

It will be alright.

11Big Goose Mistake! Empty Re: Big Goose Mistake! Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:08 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Honey, honey, honey, however you get it applied. Smother the wound in honey. Cover with telfa non-stick pads if you can. Honey has an extremely low pH (as does peat moss) and bacteria CANNOT live in an environment with that low of a pH. One of the reasons honey is so effective. Honey, honey, honey, unpasteurized is best, but as Uno said, if you can't get unpasteurized, get pasteurized, still has a low pH, but does not have as many active enzymes that pasteurization has demobilized. So sorry to hear of the injury, have a great day, CynthiaM.

12Big Goose Mistake! Empty Re: Big Goose Mistake! Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:35 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Ewe, you said she just got in with the wrong group so I assume she has a group that are her buddies right?

I wouldn't separate her much as geese are very very social and separating my geese greatly distresses them. Geese are grass eaters and not at all like chickens. If she has a group she is bonded with I would let her with them and just watch. If you've separated already she may have to do a reentry in he pecking order but not as likely with geese. Most likely it will deafening honking and then things will go right back to usual. If she has an injured leg or something as well then I would put her in a kennel or something where her buddies sleep. I think she will do much much better near or with her bonded group than separated.

As for first aid it seems you got great advice but I wouldn't try to cover it with anything as it will cause trouble when she or her buddies to preen it off or splash it with water. I think I'd use the blue kote or the honey and just let nature heal. I'm sure she'll be perfectly fine in no time at all Very Happy

I also just wanted to add that the wound looks like female fighting to me. Waterfowl grab around the neck and hold down to get the other to submit so seems she struggled. My girls are laying again so maybe yours are feeling overly protective of their men

13Big Goose Mistake! Empty Re: Big Goose Mistake! Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:52 pm

I have 8 geese but still do not know for sure which sex any one is. I think one is male but the others...well I just don't know. The one I think is male tries to bit the dogs and hisses at them. My border collie tolerates this to some extent, but he has my permission to show them who is boss after a few bites. The livestock guardian dogs simply walk away from the geese, that is the Embdens. The Toulousse and the American Buff geese are different, so not hiss or bite, but are nice and gentle. Is there a way to tell which sex they are or do I wait until mating?I think the injured one is a goose because she is gentle and I have always been able to pick her up.

14Big Goose Mistake! Empty Re: Big Goose Mistake! Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:05 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I was just reading a piece that I found and it was so relevent...don't know if this is for sure but thought I would share:

"see how the cross gander acts?.. walking almost on tiptoe with his head in the air like a sports star showing off? see how the female with him walks more horizontal with head down and chatters like a groupie? also see how thicker built his head and neck is in comparrison to her? they are subtle differences but they are there, just watch and look close," Post some pics if you want to. I'm sure you will get some feedback.

15Big Goose Mistake! Empty Re: Big Goose Mistake! Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:14 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'm not sure Ewe I have a Buff goose, a pilgrim goose and a young pilgrim gander so I know their sexes. My girls are 2.5yrs old and both laid eggs before I got my male. He is younger but has very noticeably larger legs, head and overall body size.. I have never tried to make friends with him but both my girls are friendly and curious, he hisses and has no interest in us.

I understood that having too many males is just asking for the females to be overly used and most likely harmed so I'm careful not to have too many males. I have learned this summer though with my ducks that having not enough males for the females causes just as much trouble. The girls start to fight over the male. The males will fight and usually one submits before too much harm is caused. The females just won't give in. I originally thought my new gander was harming my female ducks so I removed my geese. It didn't seem to end the problem so I took my 2 drakes out then I noticed that it got worse. I grabbed a chair and started to watch and realized it was the girls!! I put the drakes back and added a couple more and now we've got a calmer happier group. When I let the geese back in with the ducks I found a couple of ducks were asking my gander for attention (which he ignored) and my female geese were not impressed and were doing the same as the female ducks were doing to each other. They grab the bottom of the neck or right at the back and hold the other female down. This is why I say the wound looks like a female fight.

I started with just the 2 female geese and those girls are never ever apart. They had no problems at all bonding to the new young male and there has been no squabbles at all. I separated my pilgrim goose this spring when she sat on her nest as I worried about the other 2 harming the little ones. When I allowed her back they honked and stuck their necks out for a minute and then they just went to eating grass as if nothing had happened. Even when my Buff goose hatched her duckling the gander was an amazing father to it and my pilgrim goose acted as Aunt and also looked out for it. Next year I won't separate and will just let them sort it out as it seems they know far better than I do. I should also say that during the time I had them separated both girls were very unhappy (so were my neighbours as well I'm sure!) so I think in my trying to keep the little ones safe I actually caused more trouble and stress. I know of others who have posted about geese who've lost their mates and been very very unhappy so I think geese have a far stronger bond to each other and she'd be happier with her group. If she was a chicken I'd definately say get her separated as chickens turn on each other and she would become dinner affraid Geese if you watch them are very protective and nurturing of those they're bonded to.

I think if you have too many males you would notice the backs on the females will get to be a mess from the males being up on them.

I doubt your Buff goose will go to bed in the wrong place again. Anyways, I talk (type) too much but hopefully you can find something helpful in my ramblings and I hope your goose is back to her old self soon

16Big Goose Mistake! Empty Re: Big Goose Mistake! Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:11 am

I am so happy to report that Goose is on the mend and has survived her terrible ordeal with flying colours. Also, she has become my friend due to the extra care and attention she was showered with, and she comes to me when I am tending the flock and talks quite softly. She has beautiful hazel eyes and a gracefully swooping neck. Her feathers have started to regrow except on the scab where the geese got down to her meat. The scab is healing under neath though and the edges are starting to fray. She takes off small portions herself from time to time. The regeneration power of waterfowl amazes me and she is certainly proof of it. Goose is going to be alright.

17Big Goose Mistake! Empty Re: Big Goose Mistake! Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:00 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

so glad to hear that your girl (she is a girl I presume?) is doing well. Nothing feels better than seeing one of the flock making a full recovery. I'm happy for you!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum