Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Inspiration from unexpected places

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Inspiration from unexpected places Empty Inspiration from unexpected places Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:14 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I had the privilege today of spending a few hours in the company of a very broken man.

He is a friend. He was in a tragic car accident two months ago, where a stolen car with an impaired driver plowed into his vehicle with his daughter as they were returning from a fishing trip. One person in the other car died. Fortunately this man's 13 year old daughter was fine. But this 6'7" tall mammoth of a man took the brunt of the damage, and most things that can be broken in the human body are. Shattered legs. Broken arms. Broken back. And a bit of his mind is broken too, his memory is a bit shattered. He was in a coma for almost a month, on a trach for another month - he's only been able to talk for a week. He ate a peanut butter sandwich and a banana today, and that was a landmark day. He could have quit, and everyone would have understood. But he didn't quit, and it's quite apparent he's not going to.

He goes out every day, rain or shine, to feed the birds - outside even if it's raining and he gets wet. He is laughing. He is joking and has his wits about him and can crack a pretty good joke. He goes to physio every day. The hospital staff all know him by name, and smile when they say his name. He doesn't remember everything, but he remembers much. He can't talk about the accident without becoming emotional, especially if his daughter is mentioned even though she is OK - he becomes overwhelmed. He read and remembered every name of every person listed in a guest book that attended a fundraiser for his family. He is laughing and looking forward to the future. His love for his family is very apparent. His love for live is apparent. And his gratitude for life overflows.

His body is terribly broken after a very unfair tragedy, but his drive, love for his family and zest for life was inspiring. I was very humbled to be in his company today. Even with the challenges he has faced thus far, and the mountains of challenges to come, he is still smiling, laughing and loving being alive - cherishing every moment he can.

I am saying this, because maybe the next time I think I'm having a 'bad day' i will think again, because there are people out there having far worse days than you and loving life far more...people cherishing every moment they have while fighting unimaginable pain, and fighting for every breath of every moment they are here. Maybe that bad day isn't so bad after all.

I am in awe and I am inspired.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

2Inspiration from unexpected places Empty Re: Inspiration from unexpected places Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:36 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Blessings for you and your friend who has walked a long road to recovery and has longer yet to go. Thank you for sharing.

3Inspiration from unexpected places Empty Re: Inspiration from unexpected places Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:55 pm

What a totally profound message. Thank you for sharing, and please tell your damaged friend that his strength and good attitude are inspiring people he's never even met, via your story. Cheers to that. xo

4Inspiration from unexpected places Empty Re: Inspiration from unexpected places Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:24 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

farmchiq wrote:What a totally profound message.  Thank you for sharing, and please tell your damaged friend that his strength and good attitude are inspiring people he's never even met, via your story.  Cheers to that.  xo
I agree Farmchiq, you have written how I felt perfectly.

5Inspiration from unexpected places Empty Re: Inspiration from unexpected places Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:32 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh wow, shivers, shivers of excitement and shivers of being also very moved by hearing this story. This man is a mountain and pillar of strength, and yes, we should be grateful for every day that we live. There are others that are dealing with stuff unimaginable. Thank you Island Girl, for sharing this little story, and wonderful that his baby doll was not hurt. These are great days, and have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum