Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tylan, tylosil, call it what you will

+4
Schipperkesue
bcboy
authenticfarm
CynthiaM
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Tylan, tylosil, call it what you will Empty Tylan, tylosil, call it what you will Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:39 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

So, blah. What is with this drug. It is an antibiotic. So are other drugs that are used in the critter world. A friend of mine was on a search for some tylan. Do you think she could get it? Nope. The vet in the area wanted to see the bird (yes, it is to treat a bird), and would not prescribe it unless the bird was examined or they got a referral from another vet. What is with that? Who on earth can afford to take a chicken to the vet, and really....who would. Well, maybe some would, but you know how much a vet visit is, probably more than three times the monetary value of a chicken. Blah. I read in many threads people using tylosil for treatment of issues, where do they get it, is it just BC?

Why on earth is this drug so hard to get. I recall, back on the coast, I had an outbreak of a bad cold (this was over 5 years ago) in my chickens. I dosed the birds with oxycet. The birds did get better. The muscovy drake did not. He had that cold too. Guess it was a cold, back in those days, I really had no clue about much, oh so long ago. I went to a Pharmasave in Cloverdale and got tylan. No questions asked. I went home and gave that Muscovy drake some tylan and he began recovery in a big way the next day. Clearly, he needed a stronger antibiotic, I guess. It is moot, as he recovered, but I don't think he would have without the tylan use. Sometimes I guess we need to bring out that bigger gun and treat with a bigger antibiotic.

But...I want to know. WHY ON EARTH IS TYLAN such a restricted drug? Is it not an antibiotic? In the antibiotic class such as the ones we can get at the co ops or feed stores? Can someone please clear this up for me, because I am annoyed and very confused. WHY, why, why?

I like to have tylan on hand. I have tylan on hand. Just a very small amount, in case I need to ever treat a bird. I had to jump through hoops to get this drug. Our dog vet knows us and the farm, well. When I requested the tylan drug to have on hand, I had nine hundred yards of questions that were asked. When the vet discovered that our farm is well known to them, and that I knew something (very, very little) of antibiotic use and would use it ONLY IF IT WAS EXTREMELY necessary, that small dose was prescribed. The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get. What the heck is the big deal about the availability of this drug, as she turns down her mouth with annoyance....
Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I ordered nearly all my chicken meds online. No hoop jumping, just button clicking.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

authenticfarm wrote:I ordered nearly all my chicken meds online. No hoop jumping, just button clicking.
Hyper Link Please.Wink 

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

It is over the counter in Alberta. I have never had any trouble buying it. But Authentic is correct. You can get most drugs you need online, at a low price and delivered to your door. Why even torture yourself trying to get it in a pharmacy or at a vet's.

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I bought this from Buckerfields in Salmon Arm.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Maybe give them a call to see if they still have it.
Do they sell this at Sure Crop?

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Gotta google, BC boy. I used a variety of sites - Jeffers, eBay, Amazon - depending on who had what medicine.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Something tells me BC Boy is a world champion Googler!

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

It always amazes me what a different world BC is from Alberta re animal medications. The things you can just get over the counter there always seem to need a vet consultation here.

Tasvax, for example, the 8 way vaccine I give my sheep, is $12 in Alberta for 50 ml over the counter while here in BC it requires a vet consultation and even if the vet waives the consulting fee the same amount costs me $43. Interesting wool.ca in Lethbridge carries it but does not show it on its website - I have to call but then they are happy to put it on the bus for me.

I bought Tylan on line too, but can't remember from where. Google baby google...

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

9Tylan, tylosil, call it what you will Empty Re: Tylan, tylosil, call it what you will Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:09 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Tylan can be ordered from Amazon.ca

10Tylan, tylosil, call it what you will Empty Re: Tylan, tylosil, call it what you will Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:26 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

heda gobbler wrote:It always amazes me what a different world BC is from Alberta re animal medications.  The things you can just get over the counter there always seem to need a vet consultation here.  

Tasvax, for example, the 8 way vaccine I give my sheep, is $12 in Alberta for 50 ml over the counter while here in BC it requires a vet consultation and even if the vet waives the consulting fee the same amount costs me $43.  Interesting wool.ca in Lethbridge carries it but does not show it on its website - I have to call but then they are happy to put it on the bus for me.

I bought Tylan on line too, but can't remember from where.  Google baby google...
Thanks for th the tip on the sheep vaccine. Smile there are things amazing about BC, and things that really bite.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

11Tylan, tylosil, call it what you will Empty Re: Tylan, tylosil, call it what you will Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:57 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Exactly. I am a little irritated that wool.ca has a whole inventory of stuff that is NOT on line.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

12Tylan, tylosil, call it what you will Empty Re: Tylan, tylosil, call it what you will Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:16 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have three vets that i work with. Once the vet gets to know you and your knowledge on animal health they usually have no problem giving the drug required. Creekside in Vernon gave me Tylan. But i had one of their vets (Mconie) do a farm visit last year..and now he okay's anything i come up with. Armstrong vet is pretty good too....just lie about the numbers of birds you have...Twisted Evil 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum