Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Hazard of Backyard Hens

+4
Magdelan
Echo 1
Buff
appway
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Hazard of Backyard Hens Empty The Hazard of Backyard Hens Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:34 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here is the Proof LOL

2The Hazard of Backyard Hens Empty Re: The Hazard of Backyard Hens Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:42 pm

Buff

Buff

That's awesome! Laughing LOL

3The Hazard of Backyard Hens Empty Re: The Hazard of Backyard Hens Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:32 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Chickens are DANGEROUS!  LOL

4The Hazard of Backyard Hens Empty Re: The Hazard of Backyard Hens Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:50 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My son just watched this with me and the whole time he's looking back and forth from me to the screen to see how I'm reacting  and then he says "that's you!", "they're a gateway animal, they are a gate way animal" as if there's something wrong with it Shocked . lol!

5The Hazard of Backyard Hens Empty Re: The Hazard of Backyard Hens Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:49 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Don't worry, I don't have goats and stuff, you don't have to let it go that far.......

6The Hazard of Backyard Hens Empty Re: The Hazard of Backyard Hens Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:10 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

coopslave wrote:Don't worry, I don't have goats and stuff, you don't have to let it go that far.......
I suspect if I had the dosh for it I might have a horse and my husband would have the dog he longs for.  But yes, self discipline is required and a very important part of being a good steward for me because if it gets out of control I won't be able to keep them in the manner they have become accustomed, well, nothing special but I need to be able to feed them and give them water. Water is free but the food is not.

7The Hazard of Backyard Hens Empty Re: The Hazard of Backyard Hens Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:15 am

Kimberly K

Kimberly K

ROFL 

8The Hazard of Backyard Hens Empty Re: The Hazard of Backyard Hens Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:55 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

9The Hazard of Backyard Hens Empty Re: The Hazard of Backyard Hens Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:15 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

HigginsRAT wrote:
Magdelan wrote:Water is free but the food is not.

Tut tut tut...

Shocked Water is free?

We maintain the well, we paid for the well and the pump and the casings (we want another well in the next five years, deeper one) will not last forever, the power company sends us bills that need to be paid to pump the water...the water is heated in winter, the buckets (summer & winter kinds) don't last (I have to replace some geese ones, nice that rubber lasts as long but 15 years is asking a bit much...ca ching!), I haul it to and fro, if nothing else I should be able to expense the shoe and boot wear, never mind my tired aching bod that is often found soaking in a hot tub of bath water, aspirins to loosen me up to "do it all over again"...my five gallon pails are finally having the handles bust...the calf sledS (I have two, one big, one little) need replacing, I wear out one pair of work gloves per winter to keep my NOT model hands from rubbing raw on the tug strings, my summer cart has about bit the biscuit, the hoses (though really nice quality; Mother's Day present from my widdle boy who is now 30!) will need to be replaced one day, the water tap is our third one (first frost free one lasted for 14 years...the second did not and on our 3rd), there is a rubber holed mat under the tap to keep me outta the spilage (summer and winter), there is an ice pick to chisel out the ice that piles up under the faucet and that device will crater one day too if my arms don't drop off first...I could go on and on...  Rolling Eyes 

Have I made my point..."water is NOT free!"  

The water you saw in yer dunny Mate, had to be put there somehow ... so I know you can't blame this one on being a Kiwi... but then I can be a bit of a dag at times too so you can tell me to naff off now!  Razz 

Tara

I just had this funny feeling when I pushed the send button on that last comment that it would not be the end of it. Smile  Yes, I got your point and totally agree. Lot of leg work and miles traveled and time taken to get them boidies fed and watered. And wear and tear on body and equipment needed to make it happen. I had a whole spiel I was going to put here about water and sovereignty and how we take it for granted etc. (just comes out of the tap when we turn it on!) but changed my mind - . Rather go put the picture of my Grandma's headstone made by my aunt - mosaic with chickens on it.

btw, glad to see you are assimilating and becoming bilingual (Canajian/Australasian) Razz

10The Hazard of Backyard Hens Empty Re: The Hazard of Backyard Hens Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:29 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

11The Hazard of Backyard Hens Empty Re: The Hazard of Backyard Hens Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:44 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

HigginsRAT wrote:
Magdelan wrote:btw, glad to see you are assimilating and becoming bilingual (Canajian/Australasian) Razz
Ha ha ha...bin Oz & Kiwi tongued since the early 80's my Dear.  Don't get to practice much past with Coopers on here.  Evil or Very Mad 

My Australian Cattle Dogs, Rosy Burkes, Australian Spots, and now the Aussie Black Swans keep me on my toes and in contact with many friends from Down Under.  David is co-author on Sigrid`s Colour Genetics book...he lives quite close to where CoopSlave and those apple thieving white cuckoo crows lived.  I even have a nice pair of R M Williams my Stumpy friend brought with her when she came to visit Canada years back.  

We even have Cobbers working on the 1930's vintage Chev Maple Leaf trucks over there (Holden built cabs and a whole fleet of Leafs where shipped over for Pepsi Cola...very kewl!).  cheers

Coooeee....

Tara who hails from the Great White North
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Really cool to meet another person who gets the Australasian mind.  Probably not that diff from anyone else here really, only in subtle ways.  birds of a feather flock together.  I have a neighbor who has Ausie dogs, says they aren't for everyone  -  very bright working dogs (although what equates to "work" is relative  -  if it is bringing in the newspaper from the lawn and herding sparrows then that's work.  They are farmers  -  just never stop working  -  like the song says  "what does the farmer say?"  Their dogs are pretty cool actually.  They have a big marema (is that spelled right?) who keeps their sheep safe and a guard alpaca too.  I just love going in to their place -  they have pigs, chooks, sheep, cattle, horses and their dogs . . . just so familiar to me.

btw Fixins is a great name :-).  

Who is Cobbers?  Is that a person?  used to know someone called Cobber-Dave, he was an Ausie.   Just had a wave of nostalgia at the idea of a Holden!  Oh gads.  do they still make them?  Guess they do.  There's an icon.  

I have never heard of RM Williams, thanks to google I could work our that reference.  The local farm store sell Blundstone boots, they look pretty good to me also  -  they are from down under.

Cooeee to you too :-).  

have you ever heard of the comic strip Footrot Flats by Murray Ball?  Very NZ humor.  The working dog is in the pic above, named Dog.  A cat of serious hunting capability called Horse and a whole number of other characters who are such a crack-up.  Very NZ farmer orientation.  Rugby, pig hunting, nasty neighbors called the Murphy's (from Ireland of course).  Can't remember anything about chooks though.  It's one failing!

We have about 2mm of snow.  water dripping off the roof.  looks like we are joining the rest of the country.

12The Hazard of Backyard Hens Empty Re: The Hazard of Backyard Hens Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:51 pm

loushrop

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I love it !! Lou

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum