Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Guinea Keets - seriously?!

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Guinea Keets - seriously?! Empty Guinea Keets - seriously?! Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:05 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Today, at a whole +2, I found a guinea with 9 keets under her. One additional keet had died, I am sure from cold, s/he was soaking wet when I found it near mom.

Picked them up and put them and mom in a cage so they could be safe and they were headed under her before I left them - went down an hour or two later to check and they were all dead... i don't get it .

What the heck did I do???

2Guinea Keets - seriously?! Empty Re: Guinea Keets - seriously?! Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:59 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Think you maybe were too late? They may have got chilled/wet before you found them. Too bad!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

3Guinea Keets - seriously?! Empty Re: Guinea Keets - seriously?! Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:07 pm

Nature. It's what happens when those sillies try to hatch them late. Unless we get really invasive with our late broodies, they usually loose most, or all of their hatch to the elements.

4Guinea Keets - seriously?! Empty Re: Guinea Keets - seriously?! Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:38 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

My last guinea nest would have hatched this weekend...if the ravens hadn't eaten them.

I think that not being in Africa really throws them off.

5Guinea Keets - seriously?! Empty Re: Guinea Keets - seriously?! Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:58 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

heda gobbler wrote:Think you maybe were too late?  They may have got chilled/wet before you found them.  Too bad!
They were all dry and under her, save the one that was already dead.
I suppose if they hatched liked 36 hours ago and she hadn't been able to find any feed.. they were way away from the coop and it has been raining here for 24 hours and not nice at all....

Damn.

6Guinea Keets - seriously?! Empty Re: Guinea Keets - seriously?! Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:38 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Then I'll go with Nature too.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum