Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Walks with the dogs

+4
CynthiaM
authenticfarm
mirycreek
coopslave
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Walks with the dogs Empty Walks with the dogs Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:04 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have been lent some winter dog kennels to use this winter. They are not very big, have slatted floors and very well insulated dog houses on the backs. Snuggly. Remember, we have working dogs. They are not house dogs, or pets, but very important and honoured members of our family. Just a little different than the pets many of you have.

Anyways, the dogs prefer not to soil in the kennels if given a choice. If they do it drops to the ground thru the slats anyways, but they prefer not to do that. So they get 3 runs a day.

We have a very long drive way, about 1km, and it is sort of wavy, hilly. I get up and take them out for their first run just on sun up. Such gratitude to get to pee outside!! Laughing  We have a visit and then get to the business of the walk. I try to do it with purpose for my benefit as well as theirs. They are all off leash and a simple 'get in behind' has them all walking behind me in a line on either side. Then around 3ish (trying to keep them on school time if I get a job) and then again just as it gets dark.

Well, the newest member to do the walk is the cat. Why he feels he should come with us, I do not know. A couple of the dogs wanted to stare and be a bit pushy with him the first couple of times, and the pup just wants to play with him. He is now just another fixture and no big deal. He doesn't often make in on the early morning walk, but comes like clockwork on the other two. The first few times he would be completely fluffed up the whole way! Laughing  Now he is just casual about it. Sometimes we have to wait for him, he can be a little slow, he's on cat time. When I stop to wait the dogs all come and sit with me and we watch the cat catch up and then off we go again. It is just to cool.
Today was warm here. About half way down he started to pant just like the dogs. I think it must be a long ways to go for a cat. He never quits, I carried him part of the way back this time, usually when I try to carry him he just wants down. Not today.
He is asleep beside me right now. He is a very cool cat I have to say.

So I am sure our new neighbours are wondering about the crazy lady with all the dogs and a cat that walks with her every day. At least I am giving them something to talk about! Rolling Eyes 

2Walks with the dogs Empty Re: Walks with the dogs Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:11 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

ha ha too funny  our barn cats like to walk with me and the dogs too. sometimes they come amazingly long ways with us but more usually turn back or stop after a mile or so.  I remember carrying one as a kitten it came so far and I didnt kniw if it wouldfind its way back.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

3Walks with the dogs Empty Re: Walks with the dogs Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:23 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I often feel like the pied piper, with five dogs and miscellaneous cats following me around. Today, the cows were keeping an eye on things, too.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

4Walks with the dogs Empty Re: Walks with the dogs Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:35 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Such a cool picture you have painted for the mind's eye, thank you. Picture you on the open areas walking along, looking, thinking, enjoying your new life, and this is just awesome. Aren't you glad that you moved, just before the depth of winter comes upon you? I am. Wish you didn't move, but you have and we make the best of that. The cat story was very funny. I picture the three cats here, and can't imagine them walking very far. To see one of the cats walk up the arena, from the barn to our home, is to me, a very long ways for a cat to walk. They seem to like to walk a little and then stop, to do whatever, usually climb a pole or something or a fence. Cool little story, Coopslave. Hsve a most beautiful day, CynthiaM.

5Walks with the dogs Empty Re: Walks with the dogs Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:00 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Whew!! Here I thought I had the only cat that felt necessary to be apart of everything. If I'm with the porkers he is there, if I'm feeding the chickens he is there, If I'm shoeing BIG black bulls down the road away from my heifers he is there.... it goes on, on and on.

I am actually starting to think he runs the show here when I'm not around. I haven't even gotten my dogs training finished to work on the farm and my 1yr old cat has it all.

My neighbours laugh all the time when they see him trotting along behind me.

I seen your driveway I bet everybody is getting a good work out. That's a great story.

6Walks with the dogs Empty Re: Walks with the dogs Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:03 am

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Wonder if it is just a male cat thing.
My male doen't follow me into the field
due to the llama's but he will wait at the
gate.

7Walks with the dogs Empty Re: Walks with the dogs Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:48 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Love hearing the other cat stories.  I have been lucky to have some really good cats in my life, nice to hear of others that appreciate them too.

Well, it was an amazing morning this morning.  Sad to think the weather is going to change to winter this weekend.  Sad really.
Thought I would share some pictures of the dog walk this morning.  Cat didn't come, he stayed in bed but I know he will be there for the 3 o'clock.

I have to say the view of the Rockies was incredible this morning.  I wish they would come out in the photos the way I actually see them!!  And NO WIND this morning!!!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here we go, just a little ways down the steep hill at the top of the drive.

Made it to the road.  Just having a listen to the coyotes yipping at the bottom of the hill.

Off we go on the long trek home.  Gotta love it on a beautiful morning like the one we had today.

8Walks with the dogs Empty Re: Walks with the dogs Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:12 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Gorgeous! Is that little Sioux (sp? Can't remember how you spelled it?)in the picture? She sure has grown. Smile

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

9Walks with the dogs Empty Re: Walks with the dogs Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:15 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

That's her Hidden. She is growing into a lovely looking dog.

10Walks with the dogs Empty Re: Walks with the dogs Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:23 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wonderful photos! This week we've had similar weather - golden days with no wind. Love the body language of the dogs.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

11Walks with the dogs Empty Re: Walks with the dogs Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:56 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Crazy to think you went from trees to no trees. It seems naked where you are now coopslave

12Walks with the dogs Empty Re: Walks with the dogs Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:10 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ruffledfeathers wrote:Crazy to think you went from trees to no trees. It seems naked where you are now coopslave
Feels that way too Ruffled. I have to say I do like the mountains and trees in BC. Gotta make the best of where you are thou, right? On days like this, with the sun and no wind, it is a lovely place.

13Walks with the dogs Empty Re: Walks with the dogs Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:17 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

yes that sun!  it is a saving grace and we get it all winter tooo....we moved from bc af miss the trees.  hate the wind but the sun makes up for both I think!
I was just thinking your new house would be perfect for sewingin or painting?  all that natural light!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

14Walks with the dogs Empty Re: Walks with the dogs Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:47 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

That's just it even though there are no trees you get so much sun and that's really what counts. You have so many windows and that's great because you can get that natural light thru the winter.

15Walks with the dogs Empty Re: Walks with the dogs Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:01 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good for house plants too!!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum