Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gich, fog and the valley

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Gich, fog and the valley Empty Gich, fog and the valley Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:00 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

It would appear now that for about 2 weeks every morning we have fog. The sun comes up over the mountain about 8:00, but that doesn't mean the fog lifts. That fog lifts about 10:00 or so, makes for some very cold mornings. Some mornings have been freezing, still not yet that killing frost, but I am readying. Most garden stuff that needs to be in, cut down, whatever, has been done. The bulbs need yet to be lifted. Gotta get on that, but when that sun shines, oh, geeze.....makes me just want to sit and watch the chicks. Ya, yesterday, crappy day. Was pulling out a bag of shavings from the holding area, heard the mamma hen screeching her brains out. Looked outside to where her and 5 chicks were grazing, just past the driveway and into the eastern alfalfa field.....saw a frickin' chicken hawk take off. She ran as fast as the wind with babies in hot pursuit, to the safety of the yard. Oh brother. Went to see them in a few minutes, only four. That bastard took off with one chick I guess. And it was a pullet. Figures....she must have been the one that was more of a loner, seems there is always one in the crowd, seen that time and time again. One that just does not really listen to mamma. She is gone. We are down to four. All males. Oh well, good table fowl in the spring. Birds not free ranging today, they have to have an inside day. Oh should I just let it be what it is. I dunno. I do know that she did not take her babies out of the yard for the rest of the day. maybe she knows, mothers always seem to know what is best. Sure is weird around here with 14 cockerels and a cockbird gone. Big moves happening in a few days when I finish cleaning out coops Cool  have a most awesome day, CynthiaM.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum