Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Roosters....what to do?

+12
Echo 1
vic's chicks
authenticfarm
triplejfarms
Nom_de_Plume
CynthiaM
KathyS
bckev
uno
Rasilon
fuzzylittlefriend
bigrock
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Roosters....what to do? - Page 2 Empty Re: Roosters....what to do? Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:54 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

You are right. Store chicken has sat in the store for who knows how long. When I do buy store chicken though, it is cooked the same day I buy it. Always. I won't even keep store chicken a day. If I cannot cook it the day I buy it, it gets frozen.

Beef, however I do not feel that same sense of panic, although it has a two day max in the fridge before I will not cook it.

Hmm. Who knew I was raw meat phobic? Is that a thing? Raw meat phobic?

If it takes two or three days for a bird to un-rigour after death, I wonder, if giving the bird an Aspirin an hour before slaughter would help him recover from the event quicker? Maybe it will reduce fridge aging down to say, an afternoon? Then we can all be happy Very Happy 

27Roosters....what to do? - Page 2 Empty Re: Roosters....what to do? Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:10 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

28Roosters....what to do? - Page 2 Empty Re: Roosters....what to do? Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:18 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

CRAZZZZYYYY:bounce: 
you guys make me laugh..out loud at work..but during a break of course.
Thanks for all the info...hell got a email from someone who wants a cockerel so who knows??
I will try the resting for a few days in the fridge-see if that helps.
Cynthia recommended low oven....argh was it 275 degrees? now i can't remember..i did write it down
cooked two birds together and it took 4 hours!..
I just barely learned to cook chicken and now i must learn how to cook roosters...
I will never give you a hard time for high jacking a post....i love meandering thoughts

29Roosters....what to do? - Page 2 Empty Re: Roosters....what to do? Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:05 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well Big Rock, whatever you decide, tell us how it goes resting in the fridge for a few days. You must have one big fridge! Razz 

30Roosters....what to do? - Page 2 Empty Re: Roosters....what to do? Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:17 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:
If it takes two or three days for a bird to un-rigour after death, I wonder, if giving the bird an Aspirin an hour before slaughter would help him recover from the event quicker? Maybe it will reduce fridge aging down to say, an afternoon? Then we can all be happy Very Happy
lol I know some people that don't feed the night before and then give them beer the morning of the butcher.  They say it is to stop the guts smelling like guts and more like beer.   Maybe it really does some other mystery things associated with humane killing and rigor!!!  Laughing

31Roosters....what to do? - Page 2 Empty Re: Roosters....what to do? Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:50 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

When I was making my berry infused vodka, and I had all these limp, pale berries at the end of it, I toyed briefly with the idea of feeding them to the chickens, just to see what happened. But then I worried I would kill them with alcohol poisoning.

But if you could get chickens drunk enough to pass out, then it would be a lot easier to knock their heads off. They'd be so drunk they wouldn't care!

I did toss one or two vodka berries, but the birds wouldn't eat them. Stupid chickens.

32Roosters....what to do? - Page 2 Empty Re: Roosters....what to do? Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:56 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh boy, 7:30 AM and I think I am going to pull out a chicken for dinner, smiling. I LOVE our homegrown chicken, I really do, roosters. They are processed at the abattoir, brought home, put in the fridge for days, not sure how many, lose track, but I think probably no more than 5. This will shock you, Uno, the girl that will only eat one day old chicken Shocked  . Chicken in the fridge for only one day I mean. Then I take those birds out, take them out of the freezer bag that the abattoir people give, and use my food saver for re-wrapping. I really think getting all the air out makes for a much longer lasting bird in the freezer. Not affeared of birds that are aged, as I do. Keep thinking of how long beef is hung, that consoles me. We have consumed many, many, many birds we grew and never get sick from aged meat, only get stronger and stronger.

BigRock. One bird at the temperature of 250 degrees for two hours, half hour or less, if you need or want to brown, at 375.

BigRock. When down at the coast we cooked two of the birds. Indeed, two birds doubled the cooking time, never realized that, cause we have only cooked one at a time. The two roosters took 4 hours approximately to cook fully and then half hour at 375 for browning (uncovered). Something I did not realize until this coast trip was how long it took to cook two birds at once. Now know. So use that guide, it worked well. Also.....a huge thing that is important I find, is to add some water. For those two birds I added two cups of water, I don't think there is enough moisture in the homegrown birds that have run and played all their life because they have worn off the fat by playing so hard. I can't speak to birds that are not out playing all day, don't have any like that, so maybe more fat on non-running and playing in the dirt birds. Well, my cochins don't free range, they don't like it, their meat is not fat either, so maybe fat goes with different breeds, don't know. The cochins get copious amounts of grains and greens and bugs that come in on the greens every day, so kind of free ranged I guess, just not out choosing what they would like to eat. Against all that Uno says, rest the birds after processing, before or after freezing. I prefer before freezing, cause I just like to. Good topic, by the way, have that beautiful day, CynthiaM.

33Roosters....what to do? - Page 2 Empty Re: Roosters....what to do? Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:53 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Never go against what Uno says. Never! It's just a bad idea. Bad CYnthiaM!

34Roosters....what to do? - Page 2 Empty Re: Roosters....what to do? Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:19 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I don't use water; have always used WINE...wine, wine wine..
Uno, would like to meet you one day Smile

35Roosters....what to do? - Page 2 Empty Re: Roosters....what to do? Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:43 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

What to do with extra roosters?
Well make sure they are old enough to crow.
Then the next person that pisses you off
throw a rooster in their back yard at 3am.
Hopefully its a town person and just
realy messes their mind up.

36Roosters....what to do? - Page 2 Empty Re: Roosters....what to do? Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:39 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

karona wrote:What to do with extra roosters?
Well make sure they are old enough to crow.
Then the next person that pisses you off
throw a rooster in their back yard at 3am.
Hopefully its a town person and just
realy messes their mind up.
Well, if that wasn't just the best answer EVER! Loved it. Ya, could work for some Razz  have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Uno, now wouldn't want to make you mad, silly girl! Hugs.

37Roosters....what to do? - Page 2 Empty Re: Roosters....what to do? Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:42 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Karona...where do you live?
that is so funny..thank you

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum