Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

tiny chick at over 5 weeks

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1tiny chick at over 5 weeks Empty tiny chick at over 5 weeks Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:42 am

niglefritz

I have found that in our last hatch of 8 LB, that at just over 5 wks old, 7 are normal and tall, feathering out very well. The one, however, is feathering out on the wings as well, just a little slower than the rest, and feathers proportionate to it's size. It is still cute chick-like (the others are getting their awkward teen look, lol), and has at the very least doubled in size from hatching, but is so tiny...less than 1/2 the size of the others. It is healthy and is very fast. We saw no problems with it other than the size. At hatch, they were all the same size and for a few weeks afterward, they were the same.

Is this something any of you have seen? Is it cause for concern? Can I help it grow faster somehow or do I just let it be?

2tiny chick at over 5 weeks Empty Re: tiny chick at over 5 weeks Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:18 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

One of my hatches this year produced a mini-chicken. Genetically, incubationally and food wise, it had no reason to be small. But it was less than half the size of the others.

I let it be. I figure that being small is no reason to die. If everything else with the bird was going well, I was going to let it live out its little life. However, three of these birds developed ascities (water belly) at a very young age. THis little one was one of them. They were dispatched since they were living in obvious misery.

I'd say give it the chance to live. It may not be a star in your breeding program, but might be a great egg layer or barnyard buddy anyway.

3tiny chick at over 5 weeks Empty Re: tiny chick at over 5 weeks Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:58 am

niglefritz

I would not want to kill anything just because it is small. That is not a good enough reason for me. It is certainly healthy. I had just been wondering if it might develop any other problems because of it's size or if we might have done something wrong (can't imagine what when they are all treated the same) or if there might be a health/genetic issue that could cause it that we should be aware of. I imagine that it would be picked on if we put it with others of the normal size, so we might just put it in with the small silkies at some point. I think it is an interesting phenomenon.

Unless some health issues do arise (or if it is a cockerel), I have no intention of getting rid of it. Chances are that if it never gets to be a regular size, that it will become a special pet and earn a nickname. With so many children around, it is bound to grab someone's attention and affection.

Thank you for your input. Very Happy 

4tiny chick at over 5 weeks Empty Re: tiny chick at over 5 weeks Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:28 pm

wyandotte

I had the same problem with one pullet and last week we discovered that it has a crossed beak. Please check your chick for this condition.

5tiny chick at over 5 weeks Empty Re: tiny chick at over 5 weeks Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:07 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

i have one little pullet this year that seems to be doing the same thing.  She was so slow to get her feathers!  At one point her head had fully feathered out but her neck was bald...often looked like her head wasn't attached at her body....very creepy!  Glad to report that she is now sporting a full coat of feathers and while still small she's normal in every other way.  Missing a few tail feathers due to a run in with a very bad farm dog.... good thing she's FAST! She has earned a nick name..."Weirdo" She is just a little quirky

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum