Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My sewing machine obsession

+7
chicken crack
vic's chicks
lanaire-ranching
CynthiaM
mirycreek
uno
Schipperkesue
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My sewing machine obsession Empty My sewing machine obsession Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:11 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes, it is time to confess, I am obsessed with electric sewing machines. Certainly not those instant, push a button, computer driven machines. No, I love old machines where everything is mechanical.

I am particularly enamoured with Elna.

It al started when my mom got her second machine. A real beaut. In 1979 it was a top of the line Elna that featured little black disks that would produce fancy stitch patterns. It also had an automatic buttonholer. Brand new it was $900. I was in awe that my frugal parents would actually make such a purchase.

That machine produced 5 x $900 in clothing and repairs for our family and when the first computer operated machines came out and my mom bought one of those, of course the old Elna came to me.

Swiss made, the Elna is an enduring tool and was a state of the art, ground breaking sewing machine from it's inception. I have created many a costume, made repairs and even sewed more clothes on the original Elna.

So in love with the Elna, I decided to purchase another. After all, what can you do when you need to sew and the machine is in the shop for maintenance...and the shop is 1 1/2 hours away in Edmonton. So I purchased a second.

The second Elna is the first model they produced in 1940, fondly referred to as a 'Grasshopper' due to it's unique design. All it does is a straight stitch and that is all I need. It is also very tiny and perfect for travel.

Today I was in a thrift store, and what did I see sitting on the ground, peeking out from under an old bolt of material, but a green case. Aha! I knew what that case held! The third machine in my now-collection is an Elna Transforma from the late 1950’s. It was a steal at $25 and in great condition, right down to the original owners manual.

So feast your eyes on my fleet!

1979 model

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

1940 model

1957 model

2My sewing machine obsession Empty Re: My sewing machine obsession Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:01 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

There is an elegance and beauty to those old machines.

My mom has an old Bernina she's had since I was a kid. That thing can sew through anything!

Sue, what is the purpose of that metal arm thingy on those two machines? Sorry for my ignorance. I make quilts, but am a Luddite when it comes to sewing machines.

3My sewing machine obsession Empty Re: My sewing machine obsession Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:08 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno, these are Luddite machines! The metal arm replaces a foot control. It folds out and you push it to the side of with your knee to control speed.

4My sewing machine obsession Empty Re: My sewing machine obsession Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:09 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh oh oh i know I know!! They are kneee lifters so you can go turn corners twice as fast! You would really appreciate them uno when you are quilting.
I am with you sue..just started my own collection of old sewing machines if two can be a collection! I boughtan 830 record bernina 20 years ago. 1971 model. It has been my main sewer ever since.
Then I spotted another one and I just had to have it. Good news is it is even better shape than my original. It also came with tons of fancy pressser feet and since mine are identical I can interchange them.
My excuse for the new one was so my kids and I can sew at same time but that may never happen so what? Now I have two precious machines!
I love the look of your grasshopper sue. What a cutie for packing around

Ill have to get pics of my fleet....illl warn you though they are red!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

5My sewing machine obsession Empty Re: My sewing machine obsession Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:20 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Where would we be without our sewing machines. I love your beautiful Elnas, they are lovely, especially the green one. what a great idea eh? To have the rod that you cna push with your knee. I find my foot pedal always gets pushed too far away from me when I am sewing and then I have to keep pulling it back. Each time I sew I swear I am going to put some shelf liner or something on the bottom so it does not slip away. Find myself with my leg stretched way far out, happens so unknowingly that I don't even notice til I can barely reach the pedal. LOng live our sewing machines. I don't sew much anymore, but do certainly mend and my kids and theres always have some mending to be done. Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

6My sewing machine obsession Empty Re: My sewing machine obsession Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:11 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ok my mistake if it is actually fir controlling speed . In my berninas those are just to lift the presser foot so you dont have to stop and lift with your left hand.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

7My sewing machine obsession Empty Re: My sewing machine obsession Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:26 am

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

hey. do you want an old singer industrial?? I could make you a helluva deal Twisted Evil 

8My sewing machine obsession Empty Re: My sewing machine obsession Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:24 am

vic's chicks

I bought my first Elna in 1981. My daughter still uses that one. I bought another a few years back. I would never have anything else. I know it so well. Before my creativity went into oil paints and chalk pastels, I was obsessed with sewing. I can't imagine how many miles of stitching I put on that thing. It never ever broke down no matter how hard I pushed it. I made jeans and upholstered furniture with it as well as wedding dresses. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. A beautiful collection.

9My sewing machine obsession Empty Re: My sewing machine obsession Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:24 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have never head of a knee controlled presser foot! I am trying to imagine how that would work, it seems so awkward. BUt I'm used to the standard gas pedal style. I have never heard of a knee control. Thanks for this Sue, what a unique thread. (thread, get it, thread, ha ha)

10My sewing machine obsession Empty Re: My sewing machine obsession Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:47 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

mirycreek wrote:Ill have to get pics of my fleet....illl warn you though they are red!
I would love to see pictures of old and beloved sewing machines!

CynthiaM wrote:I find my foot pedal always gets pushed too far away from me when I am sewing and then I have to keep pulling it back.
I have that problem with my first Elna. The other two are knee control.

lanaire-ranching wrote:hey. do you want an old singer industrial??  I could make you a helluva deal Twisted Evil 
Oh my, what a generous offer! I think I shall stick to Elnas though. You gotta specialize or you would have a house full!

vic's chicks wrote: I can't imagine how many miles of stitching I put on that thing. It never ever broke down no matter how hard I pushed it. I made jeans and upholstered furniture with it as well as wedding dresses. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. A beautiful collection.
Your first is probably likely first! Swiss made, all of them, and lovely machines! You know,they never changed the top thread and bottom threading method from 1940 onwards!

uno wrote:I have never head of a knee controlled presser foot! Thanks for this Sue, what a unique thread. (thread, get it, thread, ha ha)
Uno, you wacky punster. You might like the knee control. You push to the side. There is lots of control over the speed with a knee and the control is always in the same place, as Cynthia points out. Also, no tripping over cords.

11My sewing machine obsession Empty Re: My sewing machine obsession Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:51 pm

chicken crack

chicken crack

Oh my! I have fallen in love with Bernina machines. I do have one of the stupid expensive newer ones from a few years ago. I do also love the old machines.

My Mom and Dad have a couple of the old foot pump ones. I do not know the proper term. I love those and will get them some day I hope:)

I got a very old Singer for a back-up and boy does that thing ever sew wonderfully!!!! Perfect stiches, strong, simple, love it and will keep it always. I think I would like to see some of the very old Bernina machines:) Must look them up now.
I will try at loading a picture...very out of practice.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

12My sewing machine obsession Empty Re: My sewing machine obsession Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:51 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Did your Bernina sew my cape?

13My sewing machine obsession Empty Re: My sewing machine obsession Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:57 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

My wife brought an electric Husqvarna with her when she came to Canada from the Netherlands. She sews a lot of clothes with this Swedish made machine including custom made blue jean jackets for me, dresses for her and clothes for the gkids. I have my mothers old Singer from 1930. Unfortunately I don't have the cabinet with the foot pedal. Last year we bought a lovely 1933 Singer with a nice cabinet. The plan is to teach Granddaughter to sew on the manual machine. Both old Singers at the moment need some small parts. The 1933 Singer did not have the correct bobbin. By going to a Singer website you can obtain a certificate selling when and where the machine was made. The two we have came from St. John, Nfld and Scotland.

14My sewing machine obsession Empty Re: My sewing machine obsession Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:23 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

A girl can never have too many sewing machines.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

15My sewing machine obsession Empty Re: My sewing machine obsession Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:22 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

chicken crack wrote:
My Mom and Dad have a couple of the old foot pump ones. I do not know the proper term.
Termed "treddle" . Have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

16My sewing machine obsession Empty Re: My sewing machine obsession Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:44 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bump!

17My sewing machine obsession Empty Re: My sewing machine obsession Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:33 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

I can't sew. I have sewing machines in my basement. They were my mom's. MY mom worked for years in industrial sewing. For decades she was a part of the factories that made clothing in Montreal. She started on machine and when she left, she was the floor lady in charge. Then years later, she sewed doing piece work for a tent company in Edmonton.

My mother's one true calling was sewing and sewing machines. She could take them apart blindfolded and put them back together. Often she would take old machines and build ones to her own liking. I had more than one fabulous one of a kind halloween costume from her skills. She could pretty much repair and make any clothing she wanted. She loved her machines.

Now they sit in the basement. I keep them clean. I don't have the gift. Something gets a hole, out it goes. Mom tried more than once to teach me. I just don't have the passion to sew. I'll always keep her machines though. I still try once & awhile.

18My sewing machine obsession Empty Re: My sewing machine obsession Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:47 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

What an awesome story, Toybarons. I am always amazed by people who can take a machine, a flat piece of fabric and create something to fit a round body. Quilting is the creation of a flat object from flat goods, not much skill required. But garment making? A whole new level of gift, as you say.

19My sewing machine obsession Empty Re: My sewing machine obsession Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:18 am

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

This will probably be considered blasphemous, but I have 3 sewing machines - only one I have used. The other two are sitting in the beautiful cabinets for which I bought them...not even sure if they work. I use the cabinets for work desks throughout the house. I should go check to see if they work, I might have a hidden gem. Smile The sewing machine I do use was about the only good gift I ever got from the X husband, although he had an ulterior motive and that was for me to make him cushions for the boat...lol. I made the cushions, but many other neat things for me too. Sewing is an artform I wish I was better at. Although I must say by the 15th cushion my lines were starting to look straight. Smile

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum