Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Males, Males, Males ....Way to many

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Males, Males, Males ....Way to many Empty Males, Males, Males ....Way to many Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:53 am

Perryschofield

Perryschofield
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sometimes it just happens.

My coturnixs have gone plain strange. I have been raising coturnix quails for almost 35 years. I have never had a year like this one. I am over flowing with extra males. Coturnixs often hatch slightly more males then hens. I would say over the years they have probably ran 55% males to 45% females. Not this year.

I have a lot of orders to fill this spring so have put a lot of eggs in the incubator.

The last four hatches have been:

hatch 1 - 26 birds - 17 males 9 hens.
hatch 2 - 18 birds - 10 males 8 hens
hatch 3 - 40 birds - 28 males and 12 hens.
hatch 4 - 23 birds - 16 males and 7 hens

Total 107 birds - 71 males and 36 hens. (18 trios I could sell).

This is really strange and makes it hard to fill orders - especially since almost all my orders have been for trios (1m. 2 hens). I have only been able to fill 3 orders so far, and from 107 birds i should have been able to fill 6 or 7 of the orders I have. What is even more strange is how the colours have gone: 13 Redhead chicks - 11 males and 2 hens, (last fall from same 3 birds hatch 18 - 11 hens and 7 males). Silvers - 16 chicks - 12 males and 4 hens ( last fall from same pen 15 males and 16 hens). H

Have any of you ever had a year like this.

All my other birds so far seem to bre hatching more hens then males for the ones old enough to tell what they are.

Perry

http://www.pandlgamebirds.ca

2Males, Males, Males ....Way to many Empty Re: Males, Males, Males ....Way to many Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:41 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The probability of 71 males out of 107 birds, when the long term average is around 55% males, is only 0.0047, i.e. pretty low. Are you sure you don't have a sex-linked lethal in there, like the "ladykiller" gene in chickens?

3Males, Males, Males ....Way to many Empty Re: Males, Males, Males ....Way to many Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:53 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Weirdness. I've heard stories of hatches where the male to female ratio was as low as 9/1. I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened to me. Laughing

4Males, Males, Males ....Way to many Empty Re: Males, Males, Males ....Way to many Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:34 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well, it REALLY depends how big the sample, i.e. hatch is.
If the overall sex ratio is 50:50, 9 males out of 10 isn't that weird, probability's about 1%.
900 males out of 1000 is far weirder - the probability of that is 1 millionth of 1 millionth of one thousandth of 1%.

5Males, Males, Males ....Way to many Empty Re: Males, Males, Males ....Way to many Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:27 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had read that males are more able to stand temp fluctuations thus artificially incubated chicks can result in more males hatching whereas under a hen("ideal conditons")it should be more 50/50?

I have ended up with more females hatching from broody hens....but my sample size is small enough it could just be coincidence..

Definitely makes you go hmmm though Perry, It would be so nice if it was the other way around. extra females....

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

6Males, Males, Males ....Way to many Empty Re: Males, Males, Males ....Way to many Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:28 am

Perryschofield

Perryschofield
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

mirycreek wrote:I had read that males are more able to stand temp fluctuations thus artificially incubated chicks can result in more males hatching whereas under a hen("ideal conditons")it should be more 50/50?

I have ended up with more females hatching from broody hens....but my sample size is small enough it could just be coincidence..

Definitely makes you go hmmm though Perry, It would be so nice if it was the other way around. extra females....

That is what it was like last fall. Out of 143 chicks I had 81 hens and and 63 males. I guess the God of hatching is having revenge on me now for the good hatching last fall.
Perry

http://www.pandlgamebirds.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum