Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

runner males chasing female goose

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1runner males chasing female goose Empty runner males chasing female goose Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:18 pm

vic's chicks

Just when things were so peaceful. Tonight one of our geese was sitting on her nest trying to lay her eleventh egg when our two male runners chased her off. We have seen them chase the female geese several times trying to mate with them but this is the first time she has been bothered while she was on her nest. The gander makes a lot of noise but is not much help except that it alerts me. I am worried she won't go back to her eggs. Our ducks are definitely more dominant than the geese. Is this normal? They may be finding a new home soon.

2runner males chasing female goose Empty Re: runner males chasing female goose Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:42 am

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have runner ducks for a very long time and this is the mating time for them they are very amorous and will try and mate with anything, duck or goose and will chase and chase. I have always kept a very heavy ratio of females to male as they will chase and mate the females to the point of death if you don't. I keep a ratio of 4 to 5 females per male and find it works well. I would suggest that you try to find a way to separate the goose from the drake as they are very very persistent.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

3runner males chasing female goose Empty Re: runner males chasing female goose Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:33 pm

vic's chicks

Ugh I didn't want to hear this. We don't really like the ducks so getting more females is not an option. As for separating them, none of them are penned. They just live wherever they like. I may have to try to get rid of the ducks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum