Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What type of gun to get

+2
Hidden River
ChicoryFarm
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What type of gun to get Empty What type of gun to get Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:24 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Speaking of 'pulling the trigger' and not being able to cull a chick quickly, I agree with Kathy that we have a responsibility to protect our livestock however we have to and as a result I went and got my license to own a gun. I HATE the thought of killing a predator but I know that one experience of having it kill my animals is all I need to give me the willingness to shoot it - like skunks and racoons. I'm not ready to take on a bear or coyote and so far our 2 acre of deer fencing has kept them out but it could be just a matter of time before a bear decides it wants not only our chickens but our fruit trees and honey bees.

So, my question is, what kind of gun would you suggest I get that would take out small predators like skunks and racoons?

And is there a gun that is a shotgun/rifle combo for small and large predators?

I am aware that I need to take a hunting course (C.O.R.E.) to be able to take down a large animal.

Thanks in advance to all of you wonderful, supportive WCPS members!

2What type of gun to get Empty Re: What type of gun to get Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:31 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

If a person could or only wanted one gun I would think a small shotgun would be the best, we use a 4-10 shotgun to shoot most close up predators like a raccoon or skunk or porcupine. It would even work for a fox if needed if it was under a building. A larger rifle would be needed if you wanted to get something more at a distance like a bear or coyote/wolf.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3What type of gun to get Empty Re: What type of gun to get Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:54 am

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I agree with Jayme that a 410 over and under is good but for most small predators I just use a 22 long with a hollow point because the ammo is so cheap.

4What type of gun to get Empty Re: What type of gun to get Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:05 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

What does 'over and under' mean Dan?

5What type of gun to get Empty Re: What type of gun to get Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:16 pm

If I may I'll answer the question on a over and under .It is two barrels on on top of the other , sorta like a side by side .Now as far as a gun that can serve multiple puposes and not break the bank you could go for a survival gun ? most are over and unders as well with small caliber centre fire rifle barrel and a shotgun together .This would give you the option of useing one or the other .They are compact and easy to store and from what you discribed myself I would think that would be the better choice ?

6What type of gun to get Empty Re: What type of gun to get Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:12 pm

I have a .22 rifle with a scope that I've never hit anything I've aimed at it with. I hope to change that early tomorrow morning. Twisted Evil

I would look at the combination described above. I've never heard of a combo rifle/shotgun before but it sounds like a great solution.

7What type of gun to get Empty Re: What type of gun to get Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:21 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Shotguns are great, and if you need it for a larger animal, you can always have a box of slugs on hand. When I was a guide in Saskatchewan hunting bear that was all I was allowed to carry. (government law, not outfitters rules)

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

8What type of gun to get Empty Re: What type of gun to get Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:15 pm

Chantecler_eh?

Chantecler_eh?

A friend of mine has a .22/.410 combo. That would be a pretty handy firearm.

http://feathers-farm.webs.com

9What type of gun to get Empty Re: What type of gun to get Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:53 pm

honeybrook

honeybrook

I agree a 4:10 is good for smaller predators as you don’t have to as accurate as say a 22 but as soon as you want to go after a coyote you will have to look at a rifle. Luck you have your bees behind deer fence they can be very destructive I lost about 15 hives last year even went through the electric fences I had up.

http://www.honeybrooklowlines.com

10What type of gun to get Empty Re: What type of gun to get Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:48 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for your input everyone. I got enough info to take with me today to the Firearm shop and came home with a 410 shotgun. The stock is a bit longer for me than I'd prefer but my partner is also willing to use it if necessary and I'd prefer he do so. The seller said the over and under style was hard to come by (thanks for the explanation on that prairiedog) and I realized I had heard of that option and had forgotten the term. The seller did say, as you did smoky, that I can use a slug for coyotes.

I can't imagine ever having to kill an animal. For me it would be very difficult but as I said in my first post, I have yet to lose any animals from predators and know if I did, it would stir up the willingness to 'deal' with the predator. Shooting it is the last resort and need to finish up with all the fencing (including electric) and if that doesn't stop them, like honeybrook said, then out comes the gun.

Thanks again. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum