Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Turkey trouble.

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Turkey trouble. Empty Turkey trouble. Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:29 pm

My Tom's have an issue, the same issue as eachother, but the turkey hen and all my other birds show no issues.  I've been running GSE and Oregano oil in their water, they (and by they I am referring to the boys) are eating, drinking, foraging and breeding, but are losing weight.  They are not listless.  What is this?  When I find out, I can treat it accordingly, however clearly just giving them anti-biotic water that cures all my other birds if something ails them is not helping these guys.  It has been around for over a week now and hasn't gotten worse, but certainly isn't getting better.  Weightloss concerns me.  Because I've never had toms around a hen, I initially disregarded it as part of the strut I hadn't seen before, however when I noted one day it didnt go away after strutting, I looked in on them with a flash light at night and found the congestion still there as well as a runny nose and weeping skin at the swelling.  I didn't have these problems with my whites I butchered, so I'm curious, also curious as to why the hen is fine -- she roosts between the boys, snuggled down between them.

Any advice is great.

Turkey one:
Turkey trouble. Turkey_zps9eed0c29

Turkey trouble. Turkey-3_zpsc6d9977b

Turkey two:
Turkey trouble. Turkey-2_zps0387d95f

Turkey trouble. Turkey-4_zps95f8dba4

2Turkey trouble. Empty Re: Turkey trouble. Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:38 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

3Turkey trouble. Empty Re: Turkey trouble. Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:39 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would say looks like a sinus infection. Check the nostrils closely for any degree. I will be honest, I never had luck clearing it up on my Toms. I would think it was clear and then it would reappear. I ended up culling the Toms and buying new. Hopefully someone else had better help for you!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

4Turkey trouble. Empty Re: Turkey trouble. Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:11 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yeah, Sinusitis. I had some luck with Tylan and moving them to another area, but butchered them all. It never seems to go away when they are housed in a coop, but let them stay outside all the time and they do all right.

5Turkey trouble. Empty Re: Turkey trouble. Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:00 am

Alright, I thought sinusitus, but hadn't had any luck treating it so thought I should double check.

It's most common in Toms then?  Do you think this is something that can be bred against?

Last edited by Sweetened on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I wrote "bread" bahahaha.)

6Turkey trouble. Empty Re: Turkey trouble. Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:27 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

do you have story's turkey book

7Turkey trouble. Empty Re: Turkey trouble. Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:37 pm

appway wrote:do you have story's turkey book
I don't. It's on my amazon wish list.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum: