Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

what is wrong with my pullet? What do I do?

+3
islandgal99
mirycreek
cuckoomama
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I had a ISA brown hen, about 2 years pld. She was in great health, a good size and weight. One day she just quit eating and lost a lot of weight. We noticed it early and gave her an antibiotic and medication for cocci. She died. Luckily, we got separated her right away and no other chicken appeared any worse for wear. That was about 2 1/2 months ago. We now have a beautiful 10 week old Americauna, Blue Copper mix. She was active, eating well and was growing into a beautiful hen. Yesterday, I noticed her in a small garden area within the chicken yard that we have put our blind Khaki Campbell male into so that he gets food and can swim without being bothered by the other ducks. Anyway, Raven, our pure black mix was standing in Mr Magoo's yard, and she let me pick her up easily. I was shocked at the lack of weight to her. She is so light and you can feel her breast bone. I brought her into the house and gave her some water and a piece of corn to see if she would eat. Today she is listless, we gave her some antibiotics (just  in case). She ate well last night, but today she is back to listless. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem and how di I help? What could I give her? Any ideas? Please help as I do not want to lose her.

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry to hear that.  Not sure what else you can do for her.  I have a friend who has had good luck feeding bread soaked in electrolytes to an "off" looking chicken.  Bbecause of the age I might guess cocci.  If you have some amprol available I would treat her with that
Also check her crop in case there is an obstruction.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Could be the heat...electrolytes may be very helpful. And the age is right for cocci...if one youngster has it they will all be exposed. As above, the amprol will help if fed early enough. And quiet and warm. My first year I didn't use medicated feed and had cocci, lost quite a few. This year I decided those first losses were not necessary and decided on medicated feed. No problems with any chick losses this year at all.

Don't feed Amprol AND medicated feed though....that's too much Amprol.

I had good luck feeding apple mash, kefir and chick crumbs to the sick chicks the first year if I got them while they were still eating. Make sure they drink, even if you must help them.

And if you do loose the chick, which we all hope you don't, get it to the lab in Abbotsford it's only $10 to have it tested, then you know for sure. And if you can't go right away, freeze it and take it later. That's $10 for peace of mind, as it'll rule out anything else.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

My thoughts are that the 2 incidents are not related. I know that some people manage to keep Isa Brown hens for several years, but remember they are a commercial hybrid chicken. They are bred for one purpose - high egg output. Unlike our heritage breeds they don't take time off to go broody or take a break in the winter to rest their reproductive systems. So they often develop tumours, cancers and other health issues relating to their high egg production. Either that, or they will pass away from sheer exhaustion. Average lifespan of an Isa Brown is 2 - 3 years so your hen may have just reached the end of her days.

Now as far as your 10 week old, right away I'm thinking Marek's disease. She is at the age when Marek's most often makes it's appearance. Chickens will often show exactly those symptoms - weight loss, listless and puffed-up. They don't always have that paralysis which is pretty much a sure sign of Marek's.

Many people suggest antibiotics and worming as a cure-all for any illness but if this is Marek's that won't help. Deworming is stressful on the system and really is best to do when chickens are healthy. Besides I don't feel it is necessary in young chickens. Antibiotics won't help with Marek's disease. The best thing to do is make her comfortable, in a separate area where she won't get trampled or pushed around by others. Give her good food and fresh water with vitamins and electrolytes. She may pull through, or may not but I wish you the best.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sorry to say that Raven, our beautiful 10 week old Ameraucanax Blue copper Maran (she was jet black with a small black comb) passed away. I wish that we were closer to Abbotsford so that I could have taken her body in to have her death analyzed. May she be happy in chicken heaven. We have put the other pullets in a separate coop and are feeding them medicated food away from the other birds. She will be missed......Sad

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am sorry to hear this.

When I read that you were shocked by how little she weighed, my first reaction was the she was crop bound. A slow death by starvation, even while they eat. If this ever happens again, you get a listless really light hen, check her crop. If it is full you have to starve her overnight and check again in the morning. If it's still full...you have a crop problem.

Too late for this bird and you won't know if this was the problem or not. But something to keep in mind. It's a bad feeling, losing them and not knowing what to do. I sympathize.

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sorry you lost your little girl. Sad

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

So sad. Feel her crop. Does it feel thick and impacted?

Sorry for your loss

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I\'m Sorry 

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am sorry to hear about your bird.  Could this be caused by mites/lice?  I lost one of my birds once and thought it was to being broody....but a chicken pal of mine took my other broody girls to her place and found that they had lice and mites...the hen that died was quite light too...perhaps more seasoned birders could comment on this one..but check the vent area for critters walking

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum