Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

quick end of season tally

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1quick end of season tally Empty quick end of season tally Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:44 am

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

As I come down to my final couple of hatches for the year did a quick review of my hatches. I was at a 70 percent hatch rate for all eggs set. When I take out the infertiles I get closer to 80 percent. Generally happy with all the chickens performance. My worst performer was my Whams. My best was my dark Cornish. Ducks weren't as successful, in part because I did a set in an old incubator. But even in the brinsea I had one unsuccessful hatch that brought my numbers down. Overall ducks were at about 40 percent. Turkeys were a little better, slightly over 50 percent. I will be curious to see how the turkeys do with my own eggs versus shipped eggs. My geese, were 6 for 9, the easiest of all to count. Anybody else doing a year end review.

2quick end of season tally Empty Re: quick end of season tally Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:10 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have a few notoriously infertile breeds so I rarely keep track of that. I have a nice incubator so my hatch rate after the infertiles are removed hatch is close to 95%. This year I am particularly pleased with the Houdans. It is amazing what a little selection will do to strengthen a breed. Last year we had dead in shell, splay leg, long bone disease, and Mareks take about 90% of the Houdans. This year I have lost less than 5%! I am so pleased that it took so little time to make the breed healthier. Now to work on the SOP traits!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum