Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A day in the life of Bob...

+4
bigrock
Pollywog
heda gobbler
Farmer Bob
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A day in the life of Bob... Empty A day in the life of Bob... Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:09 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

So...I had an interesting experience last night... In the evening, I went out to lock in Henny Penny and her chicks for the night. They were reluctant to go in...all those bugs to eat you know. So...here I am...flapping my arms and clapping my hands like a madman...when my nice new shiny wedding band (My wife and I are celebrating our 3 week anniversary today!) goes flying off my finger...to be grabbed up with great glee by one of the chicks (Junior), who proceeded to run around with it in his beak yelling like a banshee with his brothers and sisters in hot pursuit! I was laughing fit to kill myself...notice the "was"...until he stopped running and proceeded to make a very diligent attempt to eat it...then I started yelling and chasing...and off he would go again...I finally caught him and forced him to cough up his prize...

Good grief...never a dull moment!

2A day in the life of Bob... Empty Re: A day in the life of Bob... Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:21 pm

Wow that WOULD get your heart going!! Almost as much as the walk (real or otherwise) up the aisle. Glad you got it back! Of course you would have got it one way or the other, but so much nicer this way right? Twisted Evil 

3A day in the life of Bob... Empty Re: A day in the life of Bob... Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:03 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

"Honey the rooster ate my wedding ring". Hmm, not the best excuse!

Every summer I buy a bamboo handled butterfly net at the dollar store. Doesn't last long but it is great for desperate occasions like this...

Great story! And congratulations on your recent wedding!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

4A day in the life of Bob... Empty Re: A day in the life of Bob... Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:43 am

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I did this exact thing 2 days ago only it was a hair elastic not my ring. Chicks get super excited if they think they got something delicious. Evil babies! LOL

5A day in the life of Bob... Empty Re: A day in the life of Bob... Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:57 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Henny Penny

i love it!

6A day in the life of Bob... Empty Re: A day in the life of Bob... Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:59 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We had just finished our chick run and the babies were out in it when I and a chick noticed a staple at the same time. i was freaked...this little baby was running around with this staple in its beak..we finally scared it enough that it dropped the staple and we managed to snag it out...our little run has no people port....

7A day in the life of Bob... Empty Re: A day in the life of Bob... Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:55 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very Happy Too funny!

8A day in the life of Bob... Empty Re: A day in the life of Bob... Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:58 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I this how a husband becomes ...hen pecked? The hen has the ring and now you run around behind her?

Congratulations on your recent wedding. I hope your birds develop a taste for less costly jewelry!

9A day in the life of Bob... Empty Re: A day in the life of Bob... Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:38 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh funny story. I get such a kick out of the youngsters myself. Really? Why would one pick up something that they think is a treasure and then run around like a banshee with it in the mouth, making all kinds of peeping sounds. This particular sound alerts others that there is something really cool going on, like "I got somethin' and I ain't gonna share". Wouldn't ya think that going into a corner and gobbling it down would be a much better way to do things. Chicks. They have so much to learn about "not sharing", smiling that big smile. Still can't figure out why they have to tell the world that they got something really good that want to munch up. Yep, don't they just pick up the darndest things. I too have seen them pick up stuff in the yards that I have dropped and I too then run like a banshee to try and get it, just like all the others running their fool lil' heads off. Chicks do the darndest things. I love these little stories of little child antics. Reminds me of Art Linkletter's show, so many, many years ago "kids say the darndest things". One of the funniest shows EVER made on earth, as far as I am concerned Cool  have beautiful days, CynthiaM.

10A day in the life of Bob... Empty Re: A day in the life of Bob... Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:33 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Too cute! Laughing I love how chicks 'share' by peeping ITS MINE, ITS MIIIINE at the top of their lungs and running for all their worth. Rolling Eyes

Cynthia, I remember reading somewhere that chicks do this instinctively...the peeping attracts their hatch mates and all those grabbing beaks help rip apart the prize, making it easier for the chicks to eat. Those lucky enough to get a piece anyway, lol

11A day in the life of Bob... Empty Re: A day in the life of Bob... Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:31 am

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I get the greatest kick out of watching the chick's antics.  Last year I ordered chicks from the hatchery and raised them in the brooder house.  I find it so much more fun to raise them with broody hens.  I can sit forever and watch their antics. However...I'm starting to have a heck of a time chasing them into the pen at night.  A successful end to that act requires that they be somewhat frightened by my flapping arms...which they aren't any more.  They now come running to see what I have brought them...worms...cabbage..etc...I can't help but give them treats and watch the commotion...however, as they get older, they are starting to stop and gulp the morsels down more quickly.  Last night I had to crawl on my hands and knees and shoo them along in front of me to lock them up!Shocked

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum