Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

all you dog breeders I need your help

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1all you dog breeders I need your help Empty all you dog breeders I need your help Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:23 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hi I co own an 11 month old puppy who has come into season and is experiencing a false pregnancy. DOes anybody have any methods to break her out of this. The coowner took her to the vet who wants to spay her (she has 5 points towards her championship!) Any info you can give will be greatly appreciated.
Geri

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Geri, we often seem to see false pregnancies. Often the first real heat a female has here, she will have a false pregnancy.
All our dogs are working dogs, so we rarely fix the females. I find we see this more in Canada then we did in Australia and it is the spring heat we see it more than the fall or winter one. I wonder if we notice it more than others because we run our dogs with a little less weight than the average pet. The work is just to hard on them if they are fat.
My female had a year off having a litter this spring and she had a false as well. Even got the vet to check her, man I am so careful for the life of me I could not figure out how she could be in pup. Anyways, nothing in there.
They seem to just get over it. I have never done anything special. This bitch even had a bit of rib spring that I will see in her when she gets farther along.......weird. They just seem to go back to normal. The hormones run their course and then that is it.
Not sure if others have the same experience, but I have seen it a lot now. Even my sisters dog had one last spring.

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Geri usually you just let them go thru it and most times it does not last the full time Give her some stuffed toys and make her feel like she has whelped it might help have them to take care of and break the cycle. It seems vets are like the old grandmas in stead of a enema curing everything they seem to say spay them it will cure all

4all you dog breeders I need your help Empty Re: all you dog breeders I need your help Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:20 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

My advice concurs with Joe's.  She will just go through it like a normal pregnancy.  I had a bitch so this years ago and she was just fine.  Once you breed or spay her some time in the future it will end.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum