Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can I mix my momma and new babies with 1 month old chicks?

+3
Prairie Chick
Farmer Bob
bigrock
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My hen has 8 newly hatched babies. I have them in a shared space with a month old bunch (24) of them... Do I have to keep them separated? or can they just go together in the mix. They have a covered outside run and about an 8X8 house..
Currently the Hen is coordined off from the other bunch by some dog exercise pens

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hi BigRock,  I wouldn't do it.  In my experience nothing good ever comes from mixing age groups like that.  The larger chicks will pick on the young ones, and the mother hen will likely attack the older chicks.  If you have the ability to keep them separate, I would strongly recommend that.

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree with Bob, I had a chick killed by trying to add it to a mother with babies

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thank you...will keep them separate and the husband will be very happy as he has jut finished constructing the separation..

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Forget the month olds and watch your own back! I have a new mom that attacks me and draws blood. I concur with the advice...keep them separate.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have mixed a broody and brood with older chicks. I find it works well as long as the broody babies are mobile and a few days old. They have to be able to get out of mums way more than worry about the others. Month olds aren't very big and will learn to stay out of Momma's way pretty quick.

vic's chicks

I have every age all mixed up together and they are all fine I think space is the biggest issue. I find broody moms seem to accept a certain amount of space between the other birds and their chicks. When someone crosses over the invisible line ,look out. No one in the flock will mess with the mamas and their chicks except sometimes other mamas.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Glad you asked, cause you got some good responses. When I have a broody mamma, she stays in that segregated area for about 10 days or so with her babies. These babies need to get strong in order to be able to move to safety of mamma belly if they are frightened and learn a little about life. The first two weeks of the mamma broody, she is very very protective of her chicks. If anyone comes near she will hurt them. My experience anyways. Beware the broody mamma. She is mean to anything but her own. My buff orpingtons are especially this way, the cochins could not give a hoot about anything. Two different ideas of what life is all about. And I am not kidding. My cochin mammas I can do anything with, beside, whatever, they just want to look after babies and don't worry about me or anything. It is interesting to say the least. Now the buffs, eeks, ya, even they put me runnin' and will attack.

After the two week or so period, the mamma will WANT to take the babies out to be wandering about. I have LOTS of room, so space is not an issue here. If I had space constraints as such, I would be very careful. I have seen your setup. There is a goodly amount of room, but leave that mamma separated for about that 2 week period. After that time you can remove the partition and she will mingle with the older chicks. They will learn to obey her and stay away, she will make sure of that. The other chicks are about 6 weeks old now? They will stay away from broody mamma when they mingle. By the time mamma neglects them, at about 5-6 weeks old, the babies will all be mingling together safely anyways, so that worry is done. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum