Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

young girl's first chickens?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1young girl's first chickens? Empty young girl's first chickens? Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:20 am

vic's chicks

My neighbours girl Anna wants chickens. She is an amazing kid,. She has horses dogs cats and a rabbit. Her dad is building her a coop. She wants a black and a buff silkie. Her mom wants a rooster and they want 4 other standard chickens. I don't know if silkie hens can be in with a standard rooster or not. I received a silver grey dorking from performance that was supposed to be a barnevelder. I think it is a rooster. I heard they were a gentle breed so I am thinking of giving him to her when he is 6 weeks old , along with one of his sister barnies . In this situation would she be better off to have  a silkie rooster.

2young girl's first chickens? Empty Re: young girl's first chickens? Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:33 am

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I know that in my own coop I have never had a problem with the silkie hens (that I used to have) or the Japanese bantam hens (that I have now) with a standard rooster.  he leaves them alone pretty much, other than they are just part of the group he needs to watch over....
maybe there are breeds out there that are more aggressive to the smaller hens, but I know personally I havent had any issue.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum